Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: World Map of Asdel

Definitely not an expert here, but overall it seems to look pretty good! One thing I do notice is that you have some equator-ward flowing currents along the southern coast of the central continent that you have as warm but seem like they should be either cool or neutral since they're coming from cooler seas and going to warmer ones. There's a similar but opposite case of some pole-ward flowing currents in the southern hemisphere that are drawn as cool but seem like they should be warm since they're flowing to cooler waters relative to their origins.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBragg View Post
    Definitely not an expert here, but overall it seems to look pretty good!
    Thanks for the quick feedback!

One thing I do notice is that you have some equator-ward flowing currents along the southern coast of the central continent that you have as warm but seem like they should be either cool or neutral since they're coming from cooler seas and going to warmer ones.
    Are you referring to this region?

Capture.PNG

Yeah, I made that a bit strange. I think I'm going for like what the southern coast of Australia does:

Capture.PNG

I might have to rethink that area though, not sure what I should do there.

There's a similar but opposite case of some pole-ward flowing currents in the southern hemisphere that are drawn as cool but seem like they should be warm since they're flowing to cooler waters relative to their origins.
    You might be right, but if you look at ocean currents of Earth, everything south of 45S is a cool current, which is why I did that. Otherwise I'd essentially have a "warm" current along the coast of what is essentially Antarctica.

Ha, leave it to Australia to be strange

You're of course right about all the currents on earth being labeled as cold south of ~45S, though there's also not really any land between ~50S and ~65S, so that might not be quite 100% applicable to your situation since you have a continent preventing a complete circumpolar current from developing. Conversely, there are warm currents all the way past 75N, so simply being close to a pole doesn't preclude a current that's "warm" relative to its surroundings. Anyway, just my two cents, overall things look nice

norway.png

You're of course right about all the currents on earth being labeled as cold south of ~45S, though there's also not really any land between ~50S and ~65S, so that might not be quite 100% applicable to your situation since you have a continent preventing a complete circumpolar current from developing. Conversely, there are warm currents all the way past 75N, so simply being close to a pole doesn't preclude a current that's "warm" relative to its surroundings. Anyway, just my two cents, overall things look nice
    Huh, that's a fair point! So I guess what you have, then, is warmer currents entering in the far East at 45S, which would definitely warm up that entire stream. But it does have a very long stretch of just travelling straight east after that, without any interactions before finally getting to the western coast of the same continent. At 45S, how much would the current cool down travelling at this latitude? Does it depend on the time of year? Hmmm.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Okay this is cool. Will follow this thread closely!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Default Continent of Valmere | Topography

Whew.

It's been awhile since my last update.

Ever since working out the rough coastlines of the entire world, I decided I was going to finish the physical features of all the continents before getting back to doing full-on atlas maps. A sort of top-down approach.

The smaller continent of Kador is already done in that respect, so it made sense to move on to the continent right next to it: Valmere. And finally, after a few weeks of labor, I've completed the detailed topography of Valmere. It was quite a bit larger than Kador, so working out proper drainage basins was more challenging. And honestly, it's not perfect. There are definitely areas that don't look as natural as I would like, but eh, what can you do? I also have rivers and lakes generated, but I need to clean them up and get them into vector format for use in ArcGIS Pro. I'm also going to need to redo global bathymetry once the final coastlines are done for all continents, since some parts of the coastline are changing significantly enough that it doesn't match up anymore.

Without further ado, here's the topography for Valmere! ~6-ish continents to go!

Kador_Valmere.jpg

Looks very professional and clean. Whait to see more

Really impressive work. The bottom left island looks like a real atlas!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Harrg View Post
    Looks very professional and clean. Whait to see more
    Thank you!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

This is looking really good! The amount of work you have put in is impressive. I am taking lots of inspiration!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast