Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feb/Mar '21 Lite Challenge: Temple in the sewers

The parchment background is very nice. Good job with the shading, though I would add a subtle shading on the inside of the walls as well.

But, to be brutally honest, I dislike the grid, a lot! It is to prominent, to bright, to distracting and the color doesn't fit.
    My bias is I don't like grids, period. So, it's me, it's not you.
    My advice is this: If you play an RPG that is reliant on grids then add the grid before you print the map but keep it as subtle as you can. Your players deserve to see how great your map is.
    BUT, When you are creating a map for a contest, for your gallery, or to share with others, don't use a grid. Your map will look better, and get more positive responses. There will be some who will ask for it with the grid for their games so have a gridded version available for them. Then everyone is happy.

And please remember, this is just my advice, from my point of view. This is your map, so feel free to follow it or ignore it as you choose. Either way, the map is coming along great.

though I would add a subtle shading on the inside of the walls as well.
    Do you mean between the stones? or what specificaly?

Thanks for the truth about the grid, i kinda dislike it too and just battling with myself about playability...Basicaly only place where its needed is the wooden floor because stones are made with grid in mind...

Tnaks for the advice

Hi Andarr, I have to agree with Bogie (again, it seems that we have some common point of wiew). The red grid is not good. I prefer to play without grids at all, but for me the idea of RPG is that rules helps but are not the fundamental element of the game.
    My question is, there will not be some kind of furniture in the temple, even in ruin?
    Hope that will help, take it as my personal point of wiew.

Hey Simkin, there will be furniture, and objects... But i wanted to work on floorplan as a whole because if someday i would like to use it for game with different theme or maybe as destroyed temple etc... i want to be able to move things around, so i am working on them now on separate layers... i know that its a little bit more work, but i could not resist.

Yeesh! Definitely remove that grid, at most just use a thin white line about 40% transparent. Well done experimenting and trying something different though.

Great map so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Andarr View Post
    Do you mean between the stones? or what specificaly?
    A shadow on the floor on the inside of the walls will make them stand out better and gives them some height.
    Something like this:
    undergroud_temple_03.jpg

Ohh i see, i did put there a light subtle shadows of floor color, i did not think about putting there this kind of radical shadows... i will probably try it before final version, thanks for the tip Bogie.

However today a managed to put down furniture... In the temple i already made shading on the items and i am kinda proud of how the altar came out (Hopefully you would be able to see it even when i turned the resolution down). The rest of the rooms awaits!
    I also take the advice and turned off the grid.

### Latest WIP ###
    undergroud_temple_05.png

Definite improvement and the the altar does look very good.

The furniture is really adding to it. Be sure to add shadows under them to make them pop also. Really like how this is turning out.

So I think that i am now in the position that i can call the dungeon map finished, but since there is still plenty of time i will try to add something to the map that hopefully make it little bit more appealing. Anyway i added more progressive shadows as you said Bogie but however your idea was little bit too much extreme for my taste when i saw it on the whole... so i made it little bit less dark. But surely it made the walls more pop out of the picture. Thanks for advice.

Here is my hopefully not last WIP

### Latest WIP ###
    undergroud_temple_06.png
    Last edited by Andarr; 03-06-2021 at 02:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast