Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2021 Challenge: The Siege of Upris

Are you going to do that grass effect on the crest of the foreground hill, too?

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Are you going to do that grass effect on the crest of the foreground hill, too?
    Yeah don't worry, I'm still in WIP and when I finished (for that night) working on that damn rock, I didn't have the energy to continue working on the grass haha ;p
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Ever look at a piece and get a sense of nostalgia? Not sure why, but that's the feel I'm getting here. It really gives me the WoW Burning Crusades vibe, specifically Nagrand, a prairie sort of area with all sorts of monuments and rocks strewn about. I really love it so far, and I'm excited to see the end result!

IR

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Ever look at a piece and get a sense of nostalgia? Not sure why, but that's the feel I'm getting here. It really gives me the WoW Burning Crusades vibe, specifically Nagrand, a prairie sort of area with all sorts of monuments and rocks strewn about. I really love it so far, and I'm excited to see the end result!

IR
    Was curious about your comment, so I went online and looked it up. That's a very nice compliment, Adfor! I'm looking forward to working on it more, too, even if those damn rocks got me a little bummed out yesterday.
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Sooo I scrapped that last rock I did, didn't like it. I know everything is all very bright right now, I'll lower that saturation at the end so it all feels less cartoony. It helps me to work with bright colors.
    So I started working on a kinda metal frame. Did the base color, not sure if I'm gonna handle the metal part but at this point this map is really just to help me learn some new techniques. Kinda happy with the frame layout though!

### Latest WIP ###

SiegeWIP4.png

Worked a little more on that frame, added some descriptions. Lowered the saturation a bit.

### Latest WIP ###

SiegeWIP5.png

There's something so serene to this piece, which is a tad funny considering the theme of the challenge I suppose Especially in the earlier, brighter variations of the colour scheme. The latest one looks more bleak, which is probably more fitting. I love that border design!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I think my work here is done. Definitely not the type of maps I usually do, but it was fun to get to know some new illustration brushes. Loved working with the colors.

### Latest WIP ###

SiegeWIP6.png

Hmm...honestly, I think that spaceship is kind of letting you down. But you've done so much cool stuff, it would be great to show off the alien landscape... I'm wondering if you thought about having labels indicating features on the surface rather than the planets in the sky? That would be a way to tell some more of the story and highlight your work a little better, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Hmm...honestly, I think that spaceship is kind of letting you down. But you've done so much cool stuff, it would be great to show off the alien landscape... I'm wondering if you thought about having labels indicating features on the surface rather than the planets in the sky? That would be a way to tell some more of the story and highlight your work a little better, in my opinion.
    I wasn't happy about the spaceship either, but I think I needed something to fit with the theme Honestly, in a month, I only had a couple hours to work on this since I'm in school full time and I work on nights/weekends. I know it's gonna let a couple people down, but I can't do more with that time, sadly...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast