Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: July 2022 Challenge: Ancient Menoriand

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    See, since you're now using other realistic textures I think you can get away with the textured forests, since the style fits the sky and water. Nice waterfall drama.
    Thanks! Yeah, I have come to the same conclusion, so I'm working on improving the forests rather than complete replacement.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really nice job on the waterfalls; they look great. Question: are those two 'islands' by the waterfall crags sticking out of the drop, or are they actual floating islands? It's a little unclear, but depending on which way your shadows are, maybe throw their shadows up against the waterfalls somehow? Anyway, nice work, I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Really nice job on the waterfalls; they look great. Question: are those two 'islands' by the waterfall crags sticking out of the drop, or are they actual floating islands? It's a little unclear, but depending on which way your shadows are, maybe throw their shadows up against the waterfalls somehow? Anyway, nice work, I dig it.
    Thanks! I'm glad you like them, since I spent a lot of time on them and was still unsure if they were any good.

They are supposed to be floating islands. I will try and improve the shadows. Shadowing is one thing (of many) I definitely need to improve on.

Ok, I think this might be my final version for the contest, since I will be pretty busy the rest of the month. I'm not totally content with all the aspects, but I am pretty happy with it as the first of this kind of map which I have attempted.

output-onlinepngtools (25).png
    ### Latest WIP ###

Note: The city/castle icons are made using brushes from Wolfgang Braun's famous castle sketches, which he has kindly given me permission to turn into brush sets for map making to share with cartography community. I did not do them justice here, due to my poor coloring attempt and how small I had to make them, but once I am done converting them I will release them as a free brush set for non-commercial use. so others can try them out.
    Last edited by Turambar; 07-22-2022 at 12:58 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I really like this! The floating islands do indeed look like floating islands to me, and I really like the waterfalls. Very cool that you're making a brush set from Braun's castle sketches; that will be a huge boon to the cartography community. I'm so glad you asked for permission and got it.

My only recommendation -- if you have time to do any more updating -- would be to fade the opacity and/or fill on the black lines of the cliffsides. (Also, hi from a fellow resident of the DMV!)

Find me on
    DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    I really like this! The floating islands do indeed look like floating islands to me, and I really like the waterfalls. Very cool that you're making a brush set from Braun's castle sketches; that will be a huge boon to the cartography community. I'm so glad you asked for permission and got it.

My only recommendation -- if you have time to do any more updating -- would be to fade the opacity and/or fill on the black lines of the cliffsides. (Also, hi from a fellow resident of the DMV!)
    No way! I have never met anyone else from the DMV who was into fantasy cartography, so that's very cool. I love your maps!
    I ended up contacting Mr. Braun somewhat on a whim, and was equally surprised and delighted when he responded and seemed very amendable and even enthusiastic about my idea to turn his illustrations into cartography brushes. Hopefully I will have the first pack ready soon.

Great tip! I made that change to the map, and I think it looks much better.

output-onlinepngtools (26).png
    ### Latest WIP ###

Made a few more small tweaks...

Menoriand_WIP5.png
    ### Latest WIP ###

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This looks pretty great now - I agree, fading those cliff line really helped.

And northern Virginia here - I'm about 40 miles south of D.C. (although I am a California transplant. )

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This looks pretty great now - I agree, fading those cliff line really helped.

And northern Virginia here - I'm about 40 miles south of D.C. (although I am a California transplant. )
    That's great! I guess we have better DMV representation in the guild than I realized!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12