Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

That sounds good! I'm liking everything, so I agree I definitely want to continue with it or something once the map's been assembled and go deeper with history and mythology. Too much potential stuff for one map.

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    The idea being that people may want to dig deeper into their country, its history, beliefs, myths, legends, etc.

I wanted to do a map with little story bits on the map as well.
    Snippets of historical text about this area or that island.
    I am interested in that for one.
    I wrote 2 stories about the history and legends of my country (28 ), put them in the country thread and have still some more ideas.
    But on the other hand considering the many threads and potentially many pages in each thread, I am asking myself whether it is Worth the effort because the stories will stay buried in the mass and nobody will read them.
    This applies btw to anybody who would consider to invest time to write a story.

Is it conceivable to separate the mapping activity with its comments , congratulations and suggestions one one hand and the lore on the other hand ?
    F.ex I was thinking of a subforum (or a specific thread) that would be exclusively reserved to Lore, history and legends.
    The Lore would be sorted by country N° so that it would be possible to make immediately the connection to the map.

The advantage would be that somebody who is interested to read ALL the lore then he could do easily so in a single thread or subforum.
    In the present state it is impossible because a person wanting to find all the lore would have to go through 50+ threads and I don't know how many pages per thread so that I doubt that anybody has done it .
    And so much of the effort on creating stories goes lost.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a pretty good point. I'll put some thought into this. For previous projects we had a wiki. But I don't know if I want to deal with another wiki install. I'll think on it.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    Fantaseum (https://www.fantaseum.com)

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshade View Post
    I am interested in that for one.
    I wrote 2 stories about the history and legends of my country (28 ), put them in the country thread and have still some more ideas.
    But on the other hand considering the many threads and potentially many pages in each thread, I am asking myself whether it is Worth the effort because the stories will stay buried in the mass and nobody will read them.
    This applies btw to anybody who would consider to invest time to write a story.

Is it conceivable to separate the mapping activity with its comments , congratulations and suggestions one one hand and the lore on the other hand ?
    F.ex I was thinking of a subforum (or a specific thread) that would be exclusively reserved to Lore, history and legends.
    The Lore would be sorted by country N° so that it would be possible to make immediately the connection to the map.

The advantage would be that somebody who is interested to read ALL the lore then he could do easily so in a single thread or subforum.
    In the present state it is impossible because a person wanting to find all the lore would have to go through 50+ threads and I don't know how many pages per thread so that I doubt that anybody has done it .
    And so much of the effort on creating stories goes lost.
    Yes - we were just talking about thread prefixes - like this [country] or [history] at the front of a thread title. Then you could have a thread for the mapping of your [country] and a separate thread for the telling of its [history]. I think that would work. I had proposed several different thread prefixes and was going to make a post asking about suggestions for prefix categories.

Here's my list of prefix categories
    [country] for work on the country map
    [region] for work on a region or state within a country
    [city] for work related to mapping a city or cities, towns, villages, etc.
    [history] for a country's historical back story
    [culture] for discussions that focus more on the culture, less on the history
    [myths] for discussions of things like belief systems or myths, legends, etc. for a country
    [politics] for any ongoing political discussions between countries

Now those were just my thoughts. That may be more prefixes than we really need.
    I'm open to any thoughts on this or any suggestions for possible prefixes.

I think that is probably too many prefixes, I imagine I would just have one other thread for history and everything else. But different threads might be useful actually.. Maybe myths and history as one?

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Yeah I think just a category for cartography, and another for worldbuilding would be cool, or split cartography into the "official" country maps, and then another category for additional maps.

In other news, I noticed Azelor was talking about including pirates in his country, and my country has a pretty large pirate community. So I was wondering if anyone was interested in maybe starting a Pirate alliance/black market/trade agreement/anti-government kind of thing? Thought it might be cool.

The world expanded after my #40 basemap was generated, which invalidated the lat/lon grid on it. So I took the new worldmap, which is gridded in 15-degree increments and blew it up to match. So I got good lat lon locations.... which are now really really different from the scale. The Guildworld Standard Scale claims to be ten degrees - it now isn't. Is it still 525 miles, though, at least at the equator or vertically?

Unless I did something wrong here are three of the Standard Scale in the middle of a 15 degree square; not filling it, so it isn't even five degrees?

OndeetNorthCape.gif

That's the northern cape of Ondeet / #40, so you can see the grid matches the world map grid.

Some of y'all are good at winging it for size of features, but my creativity starts with data so I feel like I need to know how big my nation really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I think that is probably too many prefixes, I imagine I would just have one other thread for history and everything else. But different threads might be useful actually.. Maybe myths and history as one?
    Yeah, I like this idea the best.

[Map] and [Lore] could cover everything.
    Current Project: The Low Countries & Their Periphery, c. 1584

Do you like Renaissance and early modern history? Check out my Facebook page, Renaissance Netherlands with Will Phillips.

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    The world expanded after my #40 basemap was generated, which invalidated the lat/lon grid on it. So I took the new worldmap, which is gridded in 15-degree increments and blew it up to match. So I got good lat lon locations.... which are now really really different from the scale. The Guildworld Standard Scale claims to be ten degrees - it now isn't. Is it still 525 miles, though, at least at the equator or vertically?

Unless I did something wrong here are three of the Standard Scale in the middle of a 15 degree square; not filling it, so it isn't even five degrees?

OndeetNorthCape.gif

That's the northern cape of Ondeet / #40, so you can see the grid matches the world map grid.

Some of y'all are good at winging it for size of features, but my creativity starts with data so I feel like I need to know how big my nation really is.
    Ignore the fact that it says it's 10 degrees.
    It was accurate to 10 degrees when I made the scale.
    The world enlarged, but the scale relative to the location maps did not change.
    The scale is accurate for miles, but 525 miles no longer equals 10 degrees.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-10-2016 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks for the clarification, J.Edward. For anybody that wants kilometers without calculating, or who like me cares that the E-W scale is going to differ hugely by latitude, here's a set I made. There's a bit of the 15 degree grid framing them as a sanity check, in case you're working at expanded or reduced scale. Bottom to top these are equatorial (or N-S anywhere), 32° N or S, 49° N or S, and 67° N or S. I get 1894 miles per equatorial 15°.

ScaleVariety.jpg ScaleVariety.png

This is now a Very Large Planet. Circumference by my reckoning is 45456 miles (Earth is 24860 mi).

To go back to Deadshade's Known And Inferred Facts :-) now we could guess Guildworld is way less dense than Earth, to get a similar gravity. From that I would speculate if there's a big moon like Earth's, we might get more tidal effect on the rock - more heating & more volcanoes? Maybe there's less core, therefore weaker magnetism... erratic compasses? Fun stuff to guess at, which is going to have zero effect on most of our maps or worldbuilding :-).

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast