View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

The 5 foot grid is going to be present on the district we get. As to whether that equates to one or ten pixels I really don't know.

The grid is present on the most recent versions of the city plan that John uploaded, but they are reputedly only half as big as his own original plan. As to how big the files are that John gives us - only John can tell you that.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I have calculate the size of district 11 : it's 200 m. x 300 m.
    It seems OK for me...

Nice bite size chunks we can get our teeth into without getting fatigued

Besides, Like John said earlier, if people want to do more in the second round - another piece, he's already made sure that there's room to grow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    And if you have buildings crossing over the border... that will be a problem. Things that cross the border will get cut off when Redrobes does the masking and combining for the zoom map.
    So keep that in mind.
    Well, its not a problem but it has to be done kinda precisely if its to fit together with the neighbour. It would help if we didn't have precise things on the border but its not like we cant have them. If you have something like that then be sure to arrange it well with your neightbor mapper and ensure that the edges of your two maps line up. But yes you would only get half of your building (the bit of it in your sector) and the other mapper would get the other half in his sector butting together - even if the styles dont match.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    So the scale is 1 pixel= 5 foot ?
    I had a post about this earlier which ill edit in the link for. No its not 1 pixel per 5ft. Its whatever pixel resolution scale you feel like. But the real world scale has to be consistent. I.e. something spanning one grid unit needs to be about 5ft's worth of real map in however many pixels you want to draw it.

Post #167:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post324336
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-08-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

So, do you tihink that I am right with my scale ?

I counted the little squares on John's map, and for each square, I counted 1,5m :

District 11 Scale.jpg

All I want to know is what is the grid on J. Edward's original map? I'm assuming it's 5x5 ft squares since that is what everyone is repeating. Earlier I assumed they were in meters because that's what the scale on Azelor's map was.

Also don't mind me when I complain about the five foot grid, I just hate it with a burning passion and can't help myself. I can assure you it won't be the measurement I use on my own map. Still I do need to know what the main grid is.

Edit: About the wall I was assuming that who ever is on the inside is the mapper of it. Makes the most sense to me.
    Last edited by Falconius; 01-08-2017 at 02:31 PM.

5 foot is 1.5m, so the grid squares are 1.5m on each side... which means if you want to impose a 1m square grid on your land parcel you only have to create a new grid that is 3 squares for every 2 of Johns, and if we are talking areas - 9 squares for every 4

If you give me a second I'll draw it for you so its clear for everyone

Grid conversion.JPG
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I have also calculated now that if I use J.E's base map as the extents for the whole city in the zoom window then each 5ft square at maximum zoom will be about 9x9 pixels. So whilst I dont care what res you use, if you use a lot more than that then the final zoom window might lose some of the detail and if you use a lot less then it will get slightly blurry when you zoom right up. But theres no need to get concerned about the exact figure you use.

This image is representative of the max zoom you can expect. If this had a castle on top of it we could put a hot link to the castle map tho if that were much higher res.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.

Will that be the same resolution for all the different layers as well?

The grid is indeed a 5 foot square.
    It is just a basic default.
    Used for all sorts of games, so that's just why.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast