Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] My atlas style in PS

Around page 22 or so someone mentioned a .zip file with Gidde's GIMP gradient file. I can't seem to find it anywhere though. Does anyone have it?

Thanks

Guild Novice

Default Complete novice to PS... Need some advice on Ascension's Atlas tutorial

Hi all,

I finally invested in a copy of Photoshop Elements 9.0 and I'm trying to work my way through this tutorial, but I've gotten stuck at step 21.

Ascension writes: "Add a layer style of gradient overlay;", but I can't seem to locate how to do this in PSE 9... When I click on the layers menu, I get the following options:
    New, Duplicate Layer, Delete Layer, Rename Layer, Layer Style (Drop Down Options = Style Settings & Hide All Effects), New Fill Layer (Drop Down Options = Solid Color, Gradient, Pattern), etcetera, etcetera...

I'm now a wee bit stumped as to where to go next and I'd appreciate any advice to remedy my inexperience with PSE 9!
    Thanks in advance,

Tom (Barbierossa)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't use the Layer menu at the top...use the cursive f on the layer stack. The other thing is I don't know what sort of options you have with Elements...all I know is that you're limited with that since it doesn't have all of the options available, just some basic ones.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Don't use the Layer menu at the top...use the cursive f on the layer stack. The other thing is I don't know what sort of options you have with Elements...all I know is that you're limited with that since it doesn't have all of the options available, just some basic ones.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the prompt reply. I'm off to give that a try and I'll let you know how I get on (or perhaps, more likely, be back with more questions! )

Tom (Barbierossa)

Hehe, my first post after 10 months of lurking.
    I don't know if this has been asked before... but I've made 3 maps using this guide, and in none of them, the mountains look as good as in this tutorial. In the step where you make the color overlay and then start removing mountains, the result is nothing like the example image. The mountains are dark and ugly, whereas the guide shows them to be lightly brown and bright on top.
    As a comparison, here's the guide image:

And here's what my best attempts create, just after the part where you've added bevel&emboss and the color overlay:

What am I doing wrong? The only parts where I've altered from the guide is when I made the entire project 4000x4000 and edited the order of the gradient.

You have to delete the darks before the erasing part as in step 23: "Click on the 'mountains' layer. Make sure that black is the foreground color then Select > Color range = use black with a fuzziness of 200. Hit the delete key then deselect. This erases the darker grays." That will take out those dark and garish blacks and leave you with the lighter, pretty colors.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking that the problem might have been that part, since I didn't completely understand it. "Use black". Black as a foreground color or some weird list object somewhere? Here's what I used, using the default colors (black as foreground color):

understood.png

Looks ok to me so long as you're on the mountains layer then hit the delete key (otherwise you delete the blacks from some other layer).

When I tried it again, it removed the dark areas, but the remaining parts looked more like bubbles. I'll make a new one to see if I can avoid the problem.

Yes, I managed to do it! Thank you!

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast