Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning about HP Laptops - incompatibility with Win 10 Creators Update

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I hear you can run windows itself in Linux.
    I have the ability. I lack the stomach. I'm used to the speed and power of Linux now, and I don't remember Windows fondly. I prefer to do without.

Blog Entries

WINE is just an application that loads windows app binaries and decodes them as would a windows machine and then intercepts the calls to the OS and finds a linux replacement for most of them. Linux will handle quite a lot of windows apps and the more standard the app is the more likely it is to run under WINE.

You can install Windows (and then run any windows app) under virtualization. Thats where the native OS like linux creates a sandbox and essentially creates a bootable computer inside of it and then it can boot windows from a virtual CDRom drive into its virtual memory space. All modern CPUs from both intel and AMD have special instructions in them to handle the virtualization so that they can perform as though they are running the OS on the base system instead of being held in a goldfish bowl. Its not particularly easy for the virtual OS to work out that it is inside of a virtualized container so thats why people like to use them for testing out viruses and so on. Also, when you buy web space you often get a whole machine as your web site. Only its not a whole machine of course its just the OS in a virtual container and the ISP is running thousands of those.

What you have mouse is two native OS's side by side on the same hard drive. In principle one could see the other but its not likely that they would look since you have partitioned the hard drive for them.

From your point of view tho, you just take a windows app and put on your linux drive area somewhere and then if you click on it then it may run because linux will note that its a windows app right away and then load WINE and hand it off and let it deal with it just like it would hand off a JPG to Gimp or ImageViewer or something similar. If you go back to my challenge entry a few weeks ago with the gold and roman mosaic floor I put up a couple of linux and windows apps to do the 3D stuff. You can try them both. I think I put them up in linux and windows format so one might run native on linux, the other may run only under wine on linux. And under windows one will run native and the other wont run at all because MS have no WINE like app and no intention of letting any other OS in.

You could have run a virtual machine in WIndows tho and install Linux into it which is what I used to do in the old days to get a convenient local linux box to run linux native apps.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-18-2017 at 01:17 PM.

LOL! Now isn't that just so typically 'Windows'! They won't condescend to join the party with any of 'that kind of OS' - the 'riff-raff' systems

I have to absorb what you've said and make a virtual map of what is happening in my imagination before I really get to grips with it all, but I will have a look

Blog Entries

Save with OS files. Linux will read your DOS files or your NTFS files just fine. For windows tho you need to install an app to read your linux Ext4 files on it.

It used to be the case with all sorts of other files too like Word Docs, XLS files etc but that is not quite so bad any more.

Where it gets scary tho is when you have two machines one linux and one windows on the same network. Since its a network then both machines can see each other, naturally, but linux comes with a windows networking protocol implementation called Samba which can then look at the "Shared" folders like you normally make on windows - or maybe you dont if you dont run a network. Anyway the scary thing is that when you get one windows machine to look at another you get to see your single Shared folder. Run up a linux machine however and it can see all the admin shares and drive shares that your machine exposes to the world but windows hides from you. Mighty sobering !

So people are sharing stuff they don't even know about when they're using Windows?

That's kind of.... creepy.

I do wish that MS would stop treating us all like we're idiots who don't know how to cross the road, and let us see these important things about our data.

This Fall Creators Update (FCU) just keeps getting better and better...

Apparently, the patch for it - the one that I just managed to catch and refuse access to my system, is playing havoc with a lot of brand new machines - never mind 3 yr old HP laptops.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...-big-time.html

The patch looks like a worse nightmare than FCU was in the first place.

I am *SO* glad that I'm no longer dependent on MS!

I'm glad I'm still using that gud ol Windows 7.
    No problem here.
    Apparently Windows 10 is becoming another failure, assuming it has already been good. Like Vista and 8.

If only they had stopped with XP....

I really liked XP.

I am eventually going to have to say yes to that update, you know, because as soon as I get another security critical update I'm going to have to let it download and install.

You aren't allowed to choose which ones you want and which ones you don't when you click the accept button.

If I lose everything in my Windows partition at that point I will simply delete it and expand my Linux partition over the whole disc.

My turn...

I have Linux Mint installed now, in its own partition. But, I can't access the windows part

"Error mounting /dev/sda2 at /media/julien/245E7EB35E7E7CFC: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=100 0" "/dev/sda2" "/media/julien/245E7EB35E7E7CFC"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda2': Opération non permise
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option."

I have disabled the fast boot... Don't know how to trigger that "read-only" mount option.

That sounds very much like its the same as happened to me to start with.

Windows is hibernating, which means its not fully switched off. That's because of the fast boot option, which by default is 'on'. Windows doesn't shut everything down but just tells the apps to remember how they were, ready for next time. Its meant to speed up booting when you next turn your machine on, but it means the state of the Windows partition is unstable if you are trying to look at it from Linux.

This is my comment on the same issue, complete with a screen shot for comparison.

If this is what yours is doing, ChickPea's solution immediately below that comment is the one to try

EDIT: Ah - didn't read the last line of your comment! Sorry!

I don't know what to suggest. Maybe one of the experts can step in?

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast