Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Map an Island - Pick a Shape

It's going to be hard to get good-looking height fields for all of them because (a) it looks like the interior of some of them is a big ice dome and (b) there will be some serious distortion of the height field due to the high latitude and Mercator projection of the originals.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interesting... having spent my time watching Blade Runner 2049 yesterday in stead of mapping my city I feel in a sci-fi mood. I'm thinking dystopian future where this island is one of the few places left where flooding hasn't taken the world.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Hmmm... the island size is messing with my plans... its way way way to big 240 km across... the details disappear at that scale :/ a tenth of that would be fun
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Are there any rules that say the island has to be the same size as it is in reality?

I do believe that in the first post, Mr. B stated that the island had to be approximately 150 miles across. Would assume that means at its widest. Not sure how that compares to the reality of the selected islands though.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I took "across" to mean east-to-west, and I rotated my map so that it would be longer rather than wider. So north to south is definitely more than 150 miles. Hope that's ok, otherwise I have some tweaking to do!

-IG

Guild Artisan

I took 150 miles across was the longest part.

I wish it were smaller also. I have never done a regional map or an island map. But I will give it a go, been wanting to try a map like this anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I took "across" to mean east-to-west, and I rotated my map so that it would be longer rather than wider. So north to south is definitely more than 150 miles. Hope that's ok, otherwise I have some tweaking to do!

-IG
    That is fine.. its just cause I was hoping it was more like... 15 miles across... so I could put in more details.. but I'll make it work somehow.. just not the map I planned in my head
    regs tilt

We can freehand it if it is recognizable, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromedary View Post
    We can freehand it if it is recognizable, correct?
    Yes you can draw it any way you want as long as the shape is recognizable.

Regarding size:

Most of the islands are between 100 and 150 miles wide and I adjusted them so they were all about the same. if you rotate the island, then the 150 miles would run north to south so it stays the same size.
    The 150 mile scale was intended to be a guideline so everyone would know what they were working with, but my primary goal is to see what kind of an island you would build out of these shapes. If you prefer to work at a very different scale, it is OK with me, the voters are the ones who decide what they like anyway!

I Copied this info to the first post so it would not be missed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast