Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eastmott and Frostmarch (Commission WIP)

Very sorry for the silence. Good citizens of the Guild deserve more frequent updates. I haven't actually done that much though, mostly small things. So gaze upon it and give me your critiques!

Eastmott.jpg

Let me know what you think!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Hey Josiah

A lot has happened here since your last update on this map, so I had to spend some time just looking at this and the previous update in two tabs to compare the difference.

The 'icons' (or symbols as I would call them) look great, as does the detail in the water

I can still see a couple of the mountain roots through the rivers, and there's one little turret symbol in the top half of the image that seems to be sat on top of the forest, rather than the mountain. Don't know what to suggest just there - maybe a bit of surreptitious erasing of the ink line denoting the forest at that point would make the tower appear to be sat properly on the ground?

Looking great, Josiah!
    I concur with Mouse regarding the little things to touch up. Love the tower in the lake!

It's working very well! I'm wondering if you could possibly integrate the northern tower a bit more in its land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey Josiah

A lot has happened here since your last update on this map, so I had to spend some time just looking at this and the previous update in two tabs to compare the difference.

The 'icons' (or symbols as I would call them) look great, as does the detail in the water

I can still see a couple of the mountain roots through the rivers, and there's one little turret symbol in the top half of the image that seems to be sat on top of the forest, rather than the mountain. Don't know what to suggest just there - maybe a bit of surreptitious erasing of the ink line denoting the forest at that point would make the tower appear to be sat properly on the ground?
    Thanks for pointing those out Mouse, I'll have to fix them. I forgot to fix the mountains over the rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Looking great, Josiah!
    I concur with Mouse regarding the little things to touch up. Love the tower in the lake!
    Thanks Cashio!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's working very well! I'm wondering if you could possibly integrate the northern tower a bit more in its land.
    Thank you Ilanthar.
    You're referring to the same one Mouse mentioned, right?

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Very nice map, Josiah. I particularly love the work you did on your oceans (colors, transitions from coastal to deeper waters - something I am trying to achieve on my current WIP) and how you changed the colors in your rivers from the coast to their origin. A have a humble suggestion on the lower branch of your river in the top left that originates in the mountains (the one along the dotted line): It seems that it could be tapered more to its point of origin since it seems that it "begins" rather abruptly when compared to your other rivers, which are beautiful by the way. Can't wait to see your next update!

By Josiah VE
    You're referring to the same one Mouse mentioned, right?
    I think so .

It's looking amazing Josiah! I like how you have done the patches of farmland around the map and the icons look great! One minor nitpick: the linework of the icons is very thin compared to the rest of the map. It doesn't really bother me or even seem 'unbalanced', but perhaps you could try stroking the outer lines/silhouette a little to match the thickness of the rest of the linework. Just to see if it looks better or worse. Can't wait to see the final map!

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lewis View Post
    Very nice map, Josiah. I particularly love the work you did on your oceans (colors, transitions from coastal to deeper waters - something I am trying to achieve on my current WIP) and how you changed the colors in your rivers from the coast to their origin. A have a humble suggestion on the lower branch of your river in the top left that originates in the mountains (the one along the dotted line): It seems that it could be tapered more to its point of origin since it seems that it "begins" rather abruptly when compared to your other rivers, which are beautiful by the way. Can't wait to see your next update!
    Thank you Chris! Just ask if you want any tutorial or insight for how I did it!
    Yes, you're right about that river, I'll touch that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I think so .

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    It's looking amazing Josiah! I like how you have done the patches of farmland around the map and the icons look great! One minor nitpick: the linework of the icons is very thin compared to the rest of the map. It doesn't really bother me or even seem 'unbalanced', but perhaps you could try stroking the outer lines/silhouette a little to match the thickness of the rest of the linework. Just to see if it looks better or worse. Can't wait to see the final map!

-Dan
    Dankjewel Dan, ik zal dat proberen.
    The reason of course for the thinner linework on those town icons is because I drew them at a larger scale, as I don't doubt you would know.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

The icons are wonderful ! A tiny nitpick the north-east tower seems to sit flat on a slope and you got a city that's bitting the river. It's fought to place the icons she they represent buildings. Keep up the good work Josiah ! And I agree with Daniel, a stroke outlining the icons would be a great idea.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast