Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP Ulthui v4 - How should I draw forests?

Banned User

Thanks Chickpea!

I think the map is nearing completion, I just have some names still to do. However, I need to know about Gulfs and Bays. I've labelled in red what I presume is a bay (a circular shape). I don't entirely understand Gulfs, only a vague idea of their shape and that they are usually, but not always larger than bays. Help would be much appreciated. The only one that I'm sure is a Gulf is the one by the Mountains of Maharin as it looks a lot like Middle Earth's Gulf of Lhun.

baygulf.png

That's an interesting question. I've found that the bays are usually smaller than gulfs but not always (see the Hudson bay).
    The bays have wide openings to the sea normally, like the bay of Biscay. Gulf tend to have narrow entrances, are surrounded by islands or shoals? (haut-fond) like the Gulf of Mexico (enclosed by Cuba) Gulf of Maine. I did not even knew it existed, but it's mostly under water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_of...lfofMaine2.jpg

I'm not sure why the bay of Fundy is a bay. It look like a good Gulf candidate to me.

I should also add that some places are called seas. The Baltic sea could also be called a Gulf. It's enclosed, smaller than the Gulf of Mexico but it's still called a sea.

The actual difference is probably more subjective.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123