Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shandar: Land of the Exalted

Banned User

This is a great map, Diamond, but there is something about that ocean shallows that doesn't sit well with me. They are too consistent in width and have a sharp edge that just doesn't look natural. Can you fade them into the depths and even make them wider around the shallow areas such as islands and bays? I think that might fit better with the realistic mountain/land shapes. Just my humble opinion ... the overall look is fantastic.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Are you talking about the darker color around the coasts? That's actually just decorative, not meant to represent depth in any way. This map is kind of becoming schizophrenic - it's got bits and pieces from a couple of different styles; in the end I'm hoping they all play nice and get along.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Are you talking about the darker color around the coasts? That's actually just decorative, not meant to represent depth in any way. This map is kind of becoming schizophrenic - it's got bits and pieces from a couple of different styles; in the end I'm hoping they all play nice and get along.
    Yes, that's what I meant. It looks as though it is supposed to represent the shallow areas around shorelines, but if that is not the case, then disregard what I said.

Another style test. I think this looks better, though the font is still not what I wanted originally.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned User

The large font you are using ... does that have just the K and R with long tails, or are those two different fonts? I like that one a lot, the rest are kinda meh.

Coming along very nicely. I just dig D-maps. Although i do think that the first "style-test" was better looking than the new one.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

This style test of yours takes me into an Indiana Jones setting... the yellowish palette, the fonts and the Indian mood add up to it!

On a different note, there's a few spots where your "lakes" clash with the relief layer. The place where this stands out the most is at the NW tip of the large lake to the east of Jindapur..

Pixie: I agree, that spot and a couple others need some work. Thanks for mentioning that; sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees.

chick: The font used in the nation names is called Windlass.

E: I'll keep experimenting!

I actually downloaded that smarkan one last night, haven't had a chance to try it out yet. My sense is that all that horizontal line will be too distracting if used excessively, so if I do opt for it, it would likely only be for big text like nation names.

I like the other one too, but its still not quite right.

Keep the suggestions coming if you have any more!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast