Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Challenge: Haelsin's Journey

I'm loving what you do with the shades on the terrain. A little suggestion, you could add tiny touches of variation to the colors to get a more random and natural feel to the land. Perhaps with a background texture ...

Hey all,

I went a little quiet just due to stuff going on with my schedule, and man, it looks like this challenge exploded! I think I'll be waving as another compass passes me by for a more worthy entry.

Anyway, I got a little frustrated with the lack of texture, and I just took out my colored pencils and colored in the physical map. Then I scanned it again and put the pencil layer on multiply...

### Latest WIP ###
    ChallengeJanuary2018e.jpg

Not sure I'll get another chance to work on it before the end of the 30th -- but any last-minute suggestions?

There are now so many entries that I just haven't got time to look at every single last one of them long enough to make a worthwhile comment, but I'm glad I looked in on this one

I love the pencil texture - certainly a good alternative to a parchment background. You also have a totally different take on the land shapes.

I'm with Thomas on the loving the land shades.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That was actually a really smart idea, jshoer. Doing the texture that way makes it seem, I dunno, more integrated? Anyway, I like it.

Glad you guys like it!

Guild Apprentice

Nice Work! Would like to hear this Haelsin's story

Yup, the texturing is a small thing, but it improves the map, undoubtedly.

*Looks at texture, sees the technique used ... slowly claps his hands with nod.*

I'm happy this is working! I think it's interesting how I ended up keeping most of my digital color layers. The colored pencil work, after scanning, contributes more texture than color.

A couple last tweaks here - but I think this will be all I can do by the deadline. There's such tough competition - I'm just happy this came out reasonably well in the end.

### Latest WIP ###
    ChallengeJanuary2018f.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast