Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Grimmsmouth

This is already looking very nice! Can't wait to see the completed project.

Cheers
    -Arsheesh

Hi all,

Long time since I posted on here.

When I began working on this map I got a lot of excellent feedback on how to not only improve my drawing but also how to improve my workflows.

I've implemented that advice and created a 1 square kilometre workbox that allows me to finish each section of my map to the standard I wanted instead of rushing away over several kilometres without finishing any of them properly.

To that end, here is 1 square km of my city finished. I am almost finished with a second km to the north and will post that when I am done.

Attachment 94990

My pace is glacial but we cartographers never draw anything unless it is worth taking a long time to draw. Hroom, hm.

Hey Weery

Missed you!

This is looking really great

Things will get faster with each kilometre

That's excellent, Weery! One small critic : the dots in the big streets (like north king st) make the labels hard to read, imho.

Thanks Mouse! I've been lurking and continuing to leach inspiration from everyone but I didn't want to post an update until I'd followed the advice I'd been given

Thanks also Ilanthar. I completely agree with you. I've reduced those dots (townland and parish borders) to 50% opacity and will include them when I post an updated image.

I can't believe I hadn't even considered that but then that just goes to show the benefits of having more eyes on a map while it's a WIP.

Thanks again!

Hi again everyone,

Promised update with second square kilometre to the north.

Attachment 95268

Next I will begin to sketch towards the west of these two squares in greater detail. I'll post that as I have it.

Any and all observations welcome

Oh yes - the readability of the street labels is much better this time, and congratulations for completing the second lot

Here is just a thought (and please please ignore me if it doesn't trouble you), but you could separate all the text out from the rest of the map and make it all a bit more readable by turning the linework charcoal-mid grey instead of black, so that there is a slight contrast between the map and its labels, no matter where you put the labels. I know that's not how the Victorian maps were done, but I think you've got the Victorian style down to a T to be able to modify it that way without doing too much damage

Hi Mouse,

Thanks for the comments. I began to make the adjustments regarding your advice but it's going to take me a bit longer to produce a comparison image. I use a few different effects on various layers as well as the line work and all of these need to be adjusted but to different levels to produce a sample. Also, the final step in producing these maps is to make a composite image as a background so I need to factor in that, too.

Basically, it's worth my while having a look to see if it improves the map but it might just take me a while to produce it

Here's a sketch of the map showing where I'm going to head west next, towards the canal. Better build some bridges...

Attachment 95328

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very impressive so far!

I did some fairly large cities in the past, but nothin' on this scale.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks so much General

This map keeps growing on me as I begin to consider what's beyond the edges and then get a need to sketch them out! But I'm still maintaining control over myself and am about halfway through the third sq km atm.

Thanks for having a look and commenting!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast