Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: The Realms of Aivak

Another update - completed the legend and a load more labels. And added a better parchment.

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Hi again!

I actually liked the previous parchment better. It had a nicer, warmer colour, and was cleaner. This one has a lot of texture; although it is subtle, it feels too grungy, because your map has very fine detail. It's not a bad parchment, just doesn't work so well with this detail and scale. Maybe you could reduce its contrast slightly? It would be nice if you brought back the colour of the other parchment on another layer, and set it to colourize the one you're using right now. Or just use a simple filter.

You added and adjusted the labels quite nicely, but I feel you might be at a risk of overdoing it now. The pure white background looks unnatural, so does the drop shadow. I hope you're planning to replace it with some suitable, darker surface that doesn't draw so much attention. It may seem like an obvious thing to point out, but long hours put into creating something often make an artist lose perspective, so I'll say it: bright colours pull the viewer's eye in their direction. So the corners are the last place you'd want to be bright. Apart from adding a background, I'd remove the rounded corners, to make the map look larger. They make it feel like a mouse pad, or something like that, something small scale. (Generally round corners are used on stuff like buttons, cards, icons, etc).

I hope this helps.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Hi again!

I actually liked the previous parchment better. It had a nicer, warmer colour, and was cleaner. This one has a lot of texture; although it is subtle, it feels too grungy, because your map has very fine detail. It's not a bad parchment, just doesn't work so well with this detail and scale. Maybe you could reduce its contrast slightly? It would be nice if you brought back the colour of the other parchment on another layer, and set it to colourize the one you're using right now. Or just use a simple filter.

You added and adjusted the labels quite nicely, but I feel you might be at a risk of overdoing it now. The pure white background looks unnatural, so does the drop shadow. I hope you're planning to replace it with some suitable, darker surface that doesn't draw so much attention. It may seem like an obvious thing to point out, but long hours put into creating something often make an artist lose perspective, so I'll say it: bright colours pull the viewer's eye in their direction. So the corners are the last place you'd want to be bright. Apart from adding a background, I'd remove the rounded corners, to make the map look larger. They make it feel like a mouse pad, or something like that, something small scale. (Generally round corners are used on stuff like buttons, cards, icons, etc).

I hope this helps.
    Hi Kisachik, Yes, for sure, all positive criticism is gratefully received

I was actually not much of a fan of either the new parchment or the original (which I felt lacked bite). I have taken the original so that the colours are still roughly the same, and have reworked it a bit.

And yes, I agree the rounded corners and white background really didn;t work. Duly replaced. I think all this needs now is the last of the labels finishing off, unless anyone spots anything glaringly obvious with it.

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak.jpg

Wow, it looks great! The new parchment is beautiful. At this point I think it's pretty well done. If anything I'd just add another layer to darken the background boards a little. That would frame the map quite nicely, like a vignette effect in photography. The texture of the planks does draw a bit of attention away from the map by being similar in value range here and there.

I'm glad my previous comment was useful.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

This is a beautiful map. Maybe use two tacks in the bottom corners instead of the one in the middle right over the cartographers name?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is just majestic. Love it.

This are some excellent looking islands. Very natural and organic coastlines! Well done.
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    Wow, it looks great! The new parchment is beautiful. At this point I think it's pretty well done. If anything I'd just add another layer to darken the background boards a little. That would frame the map quite nicely, like a vignette effect in photography. The texture of the planks does draw a bit of attention away from the map by being similar in value range here and there.

I'm glad my previous comment was useful.
    Thanks Kisachik, I have been playing about with the background, was trying to get it more contrasting , so that it highlighted the map, rather than drawing attention away from it. I’ll keep trying.

Quote Originally Posted by EricPoehlsen View Post
    This is a beautiful map. Maybe use two tacks in the bottom corners instead of the one in the middle right over the cartographers name?
    Thanks, Eric, I had been trying to get a slight page curl in the bottom corners - after all who wants to use four tacs when you can get away with three? I’ll definitely look at this again before the final map, and if I can’t figure it out we will go back to four.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That is just majestic. Love it.
    Thanks Diamond!

Quote Originally Posted by greendino View Post
    This are some excellent looking islands. Very natural and organic coastlines! Well done.
    Thank you greendino, much appreciated.

This came out great! Kinda has an old west feel to it without being an old west map. I like.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    This came out great! Kinda has an old west feel to it without being an old west map. I like.
    Thanks Greason, appreciate the comment!

I think this is probably finished now, unless anyone spots anything glaringly obvious with it that I have missed.

I put the fourth thumbtack in as I struggled for ages but couldn't get Gimp to bend the corner up like I wanted it to. Oh well!

Added a final slight ink bleed to everything - I think it looks better, but I'm colour blind as well as having a tendency to myopically concentrate on one thing and not see the bigger picture...

### Latest WIP ###
    New Aivak final.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast