Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February 2021 Challenge: Oghura

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

I like it. One thing that stands out to me and cries 'digital map' is the white color in the banners and the border. It is rare for handpainted maps to use a filling color that is lighter than the background.

Ah, that's a really good point! I chose a lighter color for readability, but now I'm not going to see anything but proof that it's digitally painted.

I will play with it some tonight.

Thanks!

Hi, really nice map and... to me the colors are all right. You did a good job.

Thanks!

Just to see, here are a couple other versions (without the WIP tag). On the left, I changed the banner layer from 'screen' to 'overlay' to make it a more subtle effect. On the right, I changed it to 'multiply' and altered the colors to get contrast that way. What do you all think?

Oghura_210225_left.jpg Oghura_210225_right.jpg

(I also added some surf to the water.)

Since I see we hit a page break, here's the previous version with the lighter-colored border:

Oghura_210224.jpg

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

The right version looks really good ...

I got some more feedback from Guild folks on Twitter pointing out that the original lighter border gives better contrast to frame the map and make sure the text is legible than some of the other variations I'm trying. Flipping back and forth between the variations, I think I agree. I backed off the banner opacity just a little and I'm going to stick the WIP tag on this one.

### Latest WIP ###
    Oghura_210226.jpg

Maybe I will play with it some more tomorrow.

Ooh, this is quite nice. Love the border as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123