Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July/August Lite Mapping Challenge: Black Talon Reach

Well, I got my ruins in place, and I'm actually starting the bandit camp now. The one thing I'm concerned with, as always, is my scaling. I'm trying my best not to go too overboard with how big everything is.

I also intend to add a couple of new buildings here... I really JUST started the camp, so there will be more coming...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Blacktalon Reach03lrg.PNG

and as always, feedback is most welcome!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

It looks good. The only thing that looks off on scaling is the fish, they seem a bit large.

Hi Ladiestorm,

really nice map. as Bogie said, it looks really good.

Despite being a newbie, I also worry about scale. What I do is always have a component which defines my scale a known like a bed or something like that and try to scale all the other components using it if I'm working without a predefined scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    It looks good. The only thing that looks off on scaling is the fish, they seem a bit large.
    Difficult to say if the fishes are off scale I have seen pretty big river fishes in my life like the Arapaima that can reach as much as 9.8 ft. and is quite delicious.

Well, but what I known about maps.... Sorry if I said some foolishness.

Welcome to the guild HansR! I saw on another thread that you are a new cc3+ user? I can't wait to see the wonderful maps you will create!

As for my fish, they are under a magical mutation, so they are going to be large... This map will become part of my D&D Larysia campaign where wild magic is mutating flora and fauna into so.e weird and dangerous creatures. Feel free to check out my Ardenvale thread for a better explanation.

In the mean time, I hope to see you join one of these challenges soon!
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I'm glad you decided to restart the map. Your first version was good but I agree with your conclusion on space for your camp. I think the new version looks so much better so far.

Great work, look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Welcome to the guild HansR! I saw on another thread that you are a new cc3+ user? I can't wait to see the wonderful maps you will create!

As for my fish, they are under a magical mutation, so they are going to be large... This map will become part of my D&D Larysia campaign where wild magic is mutating flora and fauna into so.e weird and dangerous creatures. Feel free to check out my Ardenvale thread for a better explanation.

In the mean time, I hope to see you join one of these challenges soon!
    Thank you Ladystorm. Indeed I'm a newbie with CC3+ and FT3 and I should say in cartography in general.

I thought you had a reason to create fishes at that size and even if they were not magically mutated I thought it was natural to have big fishes in rivers especially after having seen them on a trip to South America. While we don't have them in the north hemisphere they are quite common in the rain forest.

I'll check your Ardenvale thread.

It will take some time before I post something as I'm starting to learn all these tools specially because I want to start creating maps for a Sci-Fi Universe I've been working in my mind for quite some time. I'll first start with FT3 to create a World map and then use CC3 + CO3 to create the system charts. I'm also using Astrosynthesis to create the 3D Universe with real star systems. Once I have the first FT3 map ready I'll post it here.

Hans

@ Savage Orc - thanks;-). That seems to be the general consensus, and I completely agree. I'm finding I have a lot more room to work, without everything getting too cramped. In fact, I might actually be able to post the finished map by Wednesday at the latest... I don't have that much more to do.

@HansR - If you haven't already picked it up, I highly suggest the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It goes into in depth detail of how to use cc3/+. Helped me, and so many others get the most out of their programs. Like Mouse, I haven't been mapping for very long... About 5 months. There are a lot of people here, and on the profantasy site that can and will help get you started. That's why I joined both forums! If you post what you are working on to the forums...you can.get help.along the way :-D
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 07-30-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Yup, my bad concerning the large fish. We have lots of fish up here in Maine, but 2-3 ft is very large, I totally didn't think about some of the huge South American fish ( also found in other places as well ).
    And Magically mutated, they could be any size! Keep on Mapping ladiestorm, can't wait to see the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    @HansR - If you haven't already picked it up, I highly suggest the Tome of Ultimate Mapping. It goes into in depth detail of how to use cc3/+. Helped me, and so many others get the most out of their programs. Like Mouse, I haven't been mapping for very long... About 5 months. There are a lot of people here, and on the profantasy site that can and will help get you started. That's why I joined both forums! If you post what you are working on to the forums...you can.get help.along the way :-D
    Hi Ladiestorm,

I'm sorry for this late answer.

Thank you for the tip on the "Tome of Ultimate Mapping". I'll definitely check it. Right now I'm learning how to correctly use FT3 and it's tools. I found some tutorials here at the CG and am following them.

Next I have to learn how to create land mass custom land masses on FT3 as those created randomly are not exactly what I have in mind.

As today is our Country Foundation Day and in consequence it's holiday, I'll spend the day playing with FT3 and go to see the fireworks at night. It's even possible I post the FT3 map I'm working to see what you people think about.

Hans

Well, I'm almost done, but I thought I would go ahead and post this, in case I don't get done today.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Blacktalon Reach07LRG.PNG
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast