Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Lite Challenge: Carte exacte et fidele de l'isle d'Anoucoubao

Guild Apprentice

That looks very cool. I also like the way you've anchored the city icons to the map and given them perspective. The line work on some of the city icons, especially the thatch roofed icon, seems too fine compared to the thick, rough lines used elsewhere. Similarly the hatching for the water seems too mechanical compared to the rest of the line work.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Thank you. Time to test the labels, a mix of Old French and Carribean, with long s and ligatures. I think I'm going to be late, so many things to add, waves, forests, a cartouche, a surfer...
    Cheers,
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao5.jpg

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I like the precision of your stroke ! The map takes all it sense and beauty when zoomed in !

Yeah, I really like the new icons and the labeling is real nice.

Great linework, Tenia! Looking forward to the final version.

One thing that looks weird to me is the shading lines on the rivers and lakes. I think that the river on the bottom right is much better (without shading) than the rest. Also, for lakes, I would suggest some finer lines on both sides, with some blank space in the middle of the lake. I hope it makes sense...

TY all
    Added some palm trees, are there ok ? I've darkened a bit the natives cities, not sure if I should do the same for the trees ? Next step will be jungle trees, not sure of the direction I should go, mass trees or scatered (as they were usualy represented on 16th-17th map) ?
    I'l bothered by the rivers and lakes hatches too, will see what I can do when all other thing are placed... if I can afford to finish in time
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao6.jpg

Some more trees... Too stylized ?
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao7.jpg

I don't think the trees are too stylized, but they look to me too soft / blurred compared to the rest of the map. It seems that they don't belong here... They are "from a different movie", as we say in Romanian

I am a huge fan of the woodcut-style shading, and you managed to do it really well, so you might want to do the same with the trees, instead of those blurred dots and soft outline.

Also what I would do is lengthen the line underneath them a bit (or maybe add some uneven lines), to ground them a little better.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this map, it looks really good so far and it has a lot of potential.

Me again,
    Changed the trees a bit, more in the style I hope and added some consistency to the land...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    anoucoubao7.jpg

Yes, I think they look better now. The grass and the ground lines help a lot.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast