Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The kingdom of Valorin - my first paid commission

Congrats and great map! The shading and the frame are excellent, I love the south-east part with the Chtulhuish monolith. And the crater looks great with the rest !

Thanks Ilanthar, you mean the Giger monolith, I'm sure there's a space jockey in this thing It's definitely non-euclidian.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 11-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Very good map, great details!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

I understand
    i will send you an email when i need something .

Thanks Sapiento ! and with great pleasure Praecursator

Hey Thomas, great to see this beauty in it's entirety and congratulations for the first finished commission. Just wonderful work! The smooth color transitions are lovely and your linework has become very neat the last months. Some things that stand out in my view: As on some of your other recent maps, i really like the "torstanish" details along the coastline. They give some nice depth to the landmass. The cliffs and chasms in the badlands look very cool. Also the whole terrain has a nice variety to it. The drawn elements (cities and monoliths) are superbely drawn and i'd love to learn more about them (so mission accomplished i guess!)
    I also have some nitpicks... : The white shorelines are a bit to opaque and bright. Also without further shading/lighting, the (conifer?) forests look a bit too flat compared to the rest of the landscape.
    The client must be a happy person! Looking forward to see more commissions from your hand in the future.

Edit: Hmmm, seems i should've read the other posts before, most of the things i mentioned have been written already... well, especially the positive aspects can't be said too often right?
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks a lot Martin ! About the coastal details, I've started shading them and it helps selling them even if there's a lot of room for improvement. The devastated landscape was a real obstacle at first but with practice and with a little help from my friends (I listen to way too much Beatles songs these days) I've manage to draw something that's quite satisfying. About the nitpicks, you are perfectly right to point the problems. The brightness of the waves and the too flat forests. I won't change it for the moment (I'll definitely do it when I got more time) but I keep it in mind for the next maps. I'm practicing on another type of canopy as I'm not really satisfied by this one anymore, it's way too hard to show light and shade on that much individual trees and it's a nonsense to show trees at that scale.

I might have some more maps to show in about a month

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I've been looking for your map for a long time, now ! And I'm not disapointed ! You really made a good job there... And I like the way you resolved your issues, like the place where the battle took place ! I hope it's the first commision of a lot more, and that you will keep sharing your work here !!!!

Just fantastic!

The colours are so striking and work beautifully together, and the mountains are stunning. I know you've mentioned doing some more work on your forests. I think the pine forests look good, but the deciduous ones seem a little flat in comparison (I've had this problem myself). However, that's the tiniest of nitpicks. The whole map is a feast for the eyes, filled with gorgeous little details, and I want to keep looking at it to find new things. I absolutely adore the blue obelisk!

Will rep if I can.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Joel ! Of course I'll share more work here ! This community is so giving, you have to give back, that's the deal

Thanks ChickPea ! That's a lot of compliments, I'm blushing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast