Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] The Elven Realms (Commission)

Hi there! I'm new to mapping, and I'm amazed at your ability to hand draw maps. I have to use a computer program, and I wish mine looked half as good as this does!
    I've followed the thread, and I too, am having a bit of an issue with the forest. I like the overall size and shape.... it's that forest 'edge' that nags at the back of my mind. It's too... uniform to me, too straight line. Forests don't really do that, I don't think... they sort of fade out...no... creep out into the landscape is more what I'm thinking. They don't just end. Is it possible to kind of break up that edge a bit? Soften it some?

Of course, I can't draw worth a flip, and I'm very new to mapping, so my opinion isn't worth much... Im just throwing my two cents in, and that's about my comments are worth... two cents! lol Anyway, beautiful and skillful rendition so far!

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    Hi there! I'm new to mapping, and I'm amazed at your ability to hand draw maps. I have to use a computer program, and I wish mine looked half as good as this does!
    I've followed the thread, and I too, am having a bit of an issue with the forest. I like the overall size and shape.... it's that forest 'edge' that nags at the back of my mind. It's too... uniform to me, too straight line. Forests don't really do that, I don't think... they sort of fade out...no... creep out into the landscape is more what I'm thinking. They don't just end. Is it possible to kind of break up that edge a bit? Soften it some?

Of course, I can't draw worth a flip, and I'm very new to mapping, so my opinion isn't worth much... Im just throwing my two cents in, and that's about my comments are worth... two cents! lol Anyway, beautiful and skillful rendition so far!
    Your two cents are worth quite a bit more to me (: There's nothing wrong with using a computer program, I do so too, and that's the way to learn to get better at this (: I have an update, but it seems I will have to go with a different style. A waste of time one could say, but I also learned that I need to practice this more, so it's not completely wasted i guess ;p

I filled in the chunk of forest but as I said, it doesn't look any good to me...

The Elven Realms 6.jpg

As always, let me know what you think!

-Dan

Here I am with yet another update. I really didn't like how the forest turned out in my last update so I immediately started working on another chunk of forest in another style. I left the old one for comparison, but I think the new chunk looks a hundred times better (and it was done waaaay faster! ;p)

The Elven Realms 7.jpg

-Dan

New forest rocks, it looks way more effective than the old style. Are you planning on colouring this map or is it to be line only?

I love the look of the new forest! It looks... more real? Does that make sense? It looks like it's creeping out into the landscape like a forest should.lol And it doesn't look so uniform, which is good too. This map of yours is really shaping up! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!

Hmmm.... I really like the first one but if it had less of a border of trees it would look a lot better I think.
    Well, the second one also looks good.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    New forest rocks, it looks way more effective than the old style. Are you planning on colouring this map or is it to be line only?
    This map will be only black and white. Maybe if I feel like it I will color it later, but it's not what I'm going for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    I love the look of the new forest! It looks... more real? Does that make sense? It looks like it's creeping out into the landscape like a forest should.lol And it doesn't look so uniform, which is good too. This map of yours is really shaping up! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!
    Thanks! I'm happy you like it (:

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Hmmm.... I really like the first one but if it had less of a border of trees it would look a lot better I think.
    Well, the second one also looks good.
    I understand what you mean. I do indeed like the style that I was aiming for and I think I might definitely try and tackle that style for some other map. For this one however, it's taking waay to long, for a forest that's looking only half decent. And there's plenty of forest in this map ;p

I'll stick with the newer version of the forests. I don't have anything to show just yet, but maybe this evening or tomorrow there will be an update!

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielHasenbos; 03-31-2016 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Didn't answer all the questions asked

Finally done with the forests. Next up is putting squiggles/grass texture on the plains and after that drawing the cities. I have never drawn cities in photoshop before, so that's going to be an experiment.

Here's where I'm at right now:

The Elven Realms 8.jpg

As always let me know what you think!

-Dan

Plenty more done (: Labels (and font) are only placeholders, and they are in dutch. I need to discuss place names before I can go any further.

The Elven Realms 10.jpg

-Dan

Looking great! (that was also very quick). The line squigglies look really nice, they add a lot of detail to the map.

Aha! I can understand those labels because I'm learning Dutch. Forest city 1, forest city 2, forest city 3, forest capital city, big forest, Empire of the Forest Elves... Wow! Those are some creative names there!! I think the large text drowns out the map and you should downsize it a bit..

Very awesome, and I'm looking forward to seeing it done!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast