Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Land - Child of Dragons (commission)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way!

I'm thinking that the map is excellent, but the ivy leaf border is just a little bit wrong with it now that the forest meets it at the edges. Not sure why, but it just looks a bit... strange?

EDIT: Maybe a single path of ivy leaves that are fractionally larger/drawn with slightly thicker lines...

My bad if this is one of the commission specs!
    Mouse, you're spot on. The current border is a brush I made that I was testing out for the cover design of the first book and I ended up not using it. I'm interested in doing something like I've got started for the ink version, I'll see where it goes. And definitely pay attention to how the border interacts with the map!

Thanks for your attention

Cheers,
    Meshon

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Mouse, you're spot on. The current border is a brush I made that I was testing out for the cover design of the first book and I ended up not using it. I'm interested in doing something like I've got started for the ink version, I'll see where it goes. And definitely pay attention to how the border interacts with the map!

Thanks for your attention

Cheers,
    Meshon

Phew! Thank goodness for that

I think we need an extra holiday, called Cartomas, where everybody just finds a comfy nook with tea and draws maps…

Tried a few things for the badlands. I think this area will require a lot of very specific texture lines to get right. I also went back to the forest to break up that really stark line that cuts the map, moving some trees around a bit. I think it helps.

Here's where I'm at!

The-Land-badlandExperiments.jpg

Wishing the very best to all,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    I think we need an extra holiday, called Cartomas, where everybody just finds a comfy nook with tea and draws maps…
    Well then it's a holiday practically everyday of the year for me - at least 5 or 6 days a week. Every few months I take a week or two off from mapping, since I do it so much.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Well then it's a holiday practically everyday of the year for me - at least 5 or 6 days a week. Every few months I take a week or two off from mapping, since I do it so much.
    Hah! You've caught me whining about the holidays! Thanks for the other perspective... There's always another point to consider with perspective. At least three points...

Best,
    Meshon

The interior of this map is done, I think. Next I'm going to take a stab at making the border better…

In case of curiosity, I made this map all in Illustrator. There are advantages and disadvantages to vectors but mostly I did it this way so that it would (hopefully) remain clear when printed in the front of the book.

The-Land.jpg

And much thanks to this thread for helping me with the desert!

cheers,
    Meshon

Edit: On a second look, I really like how the texture in the desert worked. Maybe I should treat the rest of the map the same way, with little dots? I dunno, any thoughts? I'd just do it but I have to finish moving out of my old house… time to clean the oven
    Last edited by Meshon; 12-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Nice work Meshon. I particularly like the forests and desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice work Meshon. I particularly like the forests and desert.
    Thanks very much!

I added a lot of texture and completely simplified the border. I got some good art direction and I think the map is better for it! What do you think

The-Land.jpg

cheers,
    Meshon

This is shaping up very nicely Meshon. I also do like the forest much. Good combination of deciduous and coniferous forests. At least it looks like it . Structures are also very nice touch.

One thing that bothers me is the center double side cliff. It is super smooth, at first i had an impression like it is a banner kind thing from material . Not that you shoud make it more rugged, just saying my though.

I am so glad you got rid of the ivy leaves! The map looks a ton better for it. Less is definitely more in this case

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast