Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Mapping Challenge: VeterHaven Fortress

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    LOL... *sits on the monkey*
    Monkey tickles the sitter and then squirms out from beneath her.

I did say I wasn't finished with the moat, right? The 'pretty' blue you see here, I chose because of the 'shiny' blue and green tones to it. I plan on adding a lot more! I just have to finish with the rest of the map first . After all, I still have to add the stuff that burns!
    Now some real possibilities are developing! You even could put a horde of zombies around the moat and flames on the water. Of course, Elton John might get jealous. He managed only a candle on the water. But then ...

I promise I will do my best to tie everything together, by the time this map is complete!
    I never doubted it!

But 2 thoughts:

1) Essential to a European village in medieval times was a source of milled grain. Where does your settlement get its flour? As the village is designed, a mill with waterwheel would be impractical. A windmill maybe?

2) Your added inflow system works well, but it probably would look even better if you had something along the inner moat wall to make it look like the village island is a touch higher than the moat. Then one could see why your poisoned and burnable water flows down into the moat.

Enough monkey business!
    Last edited by Mark Oliva; 11-25-2017 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Illiteracy
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

OMG Mark! lol...

Uhm... first, Elton John didn't have a Candle on the Water, He sang about a Candle in the Wind. I'm closer to Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water. Only for me, where there's smoke, there's fire.

About the grain mill... Mark, I already have one, on of yours, actually. Is it too small? I probably need to make it bigger, or use the other one... but it's that square building that is SUPPOSED to have a glow and shadow on it, but doesn't... near the right outer wall close to the fields. I'm using one of the Vyntiri windmills.

As for the height of the island above the moat, I thought I had showed that the surface of the moat is much lower than the island. I will play around with the effects a bit more, to see if I can get it to look deeper.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Oh, and Tenia - yes, I am already planning a portcullis between the gate... and a draw bridge too!
    Hurrah ! Oh and these are cows I see in the meadow ? Marvellous ! If they are French, your defenders will be able to throw cows on those pesty attackers ! Faites ch... la vache !

OMG Mark! lol...

Uhm... first, Elton John didn't have a Candle on the Water, He sang about a Candle in the Wind.
    I suppose it would have been better to be a wise monk than to be an unwise monkey. So it goes.

I'm closer to Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water.
    I'm closer to Brünnhilde's Feuerzauber from Die Walküre, but to each his or her own.

Only for me, where there's smoke, there's fire.
    However, where there's fire there isn't always smoke, and your map appears not have have either yet. But I'll stop pursuing this point before I make an ash of myself. Monkey's bad enough.

About the grain mill... Mark, I already have one, on of yours, actually. Is it too small? I probably need to make it bigger, or use the other one... but it's that square building that is SUPPOSED to have a glow and shadow on it, but doesn't... near the right outer wall close to the fields. I'm using one of the Vyntiri windmills.
    But here something actually is wrong. Compare the appearance of the symbol on the map with the original symbol:

temp.png

The windmill blade is missing from the symbol on your map.

As for the height of the island above the moat, I thought I had showed that the surface of the moat is much lower than the island.
    Oh, okay, however, I don't get that effect.

Servus!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

ahh, the blades of the windmill are getting lost in the grass. Let me see what I can do about that.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

ahh, the blades of the windmill are getting lost in the grass. Let me see what I can do about that.
    Yes. Knowing that they are there, I can see them, but I doubt I'd have noticed them otherwise. That's by design, I'm sure. Camouflaged windmill blades... zombies just walk right into them and get chopped up. Silly zombies!

@rdanhenry - lol!!! The zombies are not ever supposed to make it inside the fortress!

But I've been busting a hump to work on this map, and I think I have a lot more progress. I switched out the old windmill for one that is hopefully more visible. I FINALLY added my drawbridge and portcullises. And I added more to my farms. I also realized one major thing that was missing in my village, especially if they are regularly having to fight the undead... and that's a church/temple! After all, the fighters can't turn away the undead... that's the clerics' job! Plus I added a few more types of livestock, such as pigs, and sheep. But that has led me to another issue. Sheep means wool, and wool means the chance to make thread, and weave cloth to make clothes. I need to see if I can find an appropriate symbol for a weaver... But that's tomorrow's problem. Maybe the right basic building with a sign outside... but I still need the loom. I don't know how I'm going to work that, but we shall see.

### Latest WIP ###

Fort Veterhaven.07LRG.JPG
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I need to see if I can find an appropriate symbol for a weaver... But that's tomorrow's problem. Maybe the right basic building with a sign outside... but I still need the loom. I don't know how I'm going to work that, but we shall see.
    You've made me curious. What would you do with a loom symbol? Are you going to have an outdoor loom? I think there's a point somewhere that I'm missing.

However, if you want to make a loom, one possibility would be to to take a frame (out of the same symbol collection that gave you the elevator shaft) and put it over the cargo net symbol in the CSUAC/Dundinni Archives collection. This is where it is:

Mode DD3, Icon CSUAC/DA Equipment, Menu Option Tools Professional

If you need a sign for the building, try one of the four signs symbols at the bottom of this collection:

Mode DD3, Icon CSUAC/DA Structures, Menu Option Structural Parts

NOTE to other readers: These are symbol collections for CC3+.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Hey MarK!

I was thinking that I have no idea what a weaver's shop would look like, but if I had something that would pass for a weavers loom, I could put it on a sign. That's what I was thinking of doing to all of my shops, instead of the typical map key. Putting up signs to show what they are. After all, during the Dark Ages, most people were illiterate. So most shopkeeps used symbols on their signs that were easily recognized.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Well, my mapping of this fort is almost complete. I have finished the village inside, I've finished the moat, and hopefully fixed the cliff to the north, with the exception of greening it up a bit.

I still have to set up the braziers and lifts for the walls, work my labeling, map border and title... and I think I will be finished!

### Latest WIP ###

Fort Veterhaven.08lrg.JPG
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 11-26-2017 at 10:47 PM. Reason: forgot the WIP map.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast