Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: January 2018 Challenge : The City States of Azellak

Oh I am sorry, MMM. It appears you are indeed using a soft edged brush the way I suggested, and this may be the source of your problems in taking the blue right up to the coastline.

If you use a harder edged brush, or the same brush but very much smaller, you will find it easier to get into all the little corners

Once you have got it right, though, you can use the extent you have painted on that layer to make yourself a mask, so that you can select either everything that is the sea, or everything that is not the sea, and work on that - either on the same layer, or on a new one.

The way to use the painted part of a layer as a mask is to right click the layer in the layer docker and choose "Alpha to selection", which is near the bottom of the list. Once you have done that you can choose whichever layer you want to work on and paint away, knowing that your paint will only ever work in the same area as the sea. even though it may be on a different layer.

If you want to paint the land but avoid the sea, then select the sea as described above, but then go to Select/invert, so that everything that is not the sea colour is selected, and you can paint without fear of overlapping into the sea.

You can do all kinds of fancy stuff with layer masks and so on, but lets keep it relatively simple to start with

ooh! Thank you!

Ummm... well it was kind of my fault for suggesting the soft edged brush, but you're welcome!

I think I under-estimated the sheer size of brush that you would be using, perhaps?

Well, it seems that all I could have said has already been said. The best way is always to test & try, anyway !

@Mouse The alpha to selection is very useful - I did lower the round brushes size, giving me some more progress, but it's very hard to keep all the water with the same base colour. I can't keep my finger on the mouse for all that time, if you get me. Whenever I pass somewhere where some color was already added, it gets darker...

But now that's sorta the past. I've finished my seas (for now).

My next problem (!): Fading text.
    Any way to enhance text, or anything, after colour has been added and its fading back? That's a real problem.
    Sorry for all the questions.
    And thanks both of you!

I think I understand where there may be a few more problems.

In order to get a pale blue through which you can see the scanned map it isn't necessary to paint the blue thinly, or half transparent (which is I think why you would get a problem with the colour darkening on the second stroke). You can paint it at full opacity and use as many strokes as you like.

You can then play with two settings on that layer to get it as transparent and pale as you like.

The first one is the blend mode of the layer. Click the down arrow at the end of the mode bar (numbered 1) and try a few different blend modes.

The second one is the actual opacity of the layer itself. That can be adjusted by clicking and dragging on the opacity bar (numbered 2).

mode and opacity.jpg

Again, I am so sorry I didn't explain myself properly to you the first time when I was talking about blend modes and so on!

So all you have to do when you have another ocean to colour in is just plaster it all over in thick non transparent blue of approximately the right shade (no messing around with transparent brush strokes), and then play with those two settings until it looks right to you

Alpha to selection is much more useful if you have a layer that is painted with full opacity paint (whether or not it has been set to be partly transparent), since partially transparent paint that is only half there will only create a partially transparent mask

Aha! Thanks a LOT! I've just played around with the layer opacity, works like a charm. Thankee!!!

At the risk of creating a huge diversion of effort at a critical moment in time... perhaps try this on a different file just to learn a bit, but don't spend too long on it away from your Challenge map....

A lot of mappers put the linework on top of the colour layers. How so?

Open a new copy of your scanned artwork and create a new layer underneath it and scribble a whole load of different colours on that new layer. Then set the blend mode (number 1), to "multiply" on the actual map scan layer. This will have the effect of cancelling out any of the white paper in the scan, so the lines will appear to be drawn directly onto the colour layer, without the colour layer diluting or fading the strength of the line work in any way.

I stress again - this is just a diversion. Something to learn, not necessarily to use in this particular map.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-19-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Thx again Mouse... that sounds interesting. I'll be checking it out soon.
    Anything I need to correct, work on, ect... ?
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast