Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: July / Aug '18 Lite Challenge: The Stones of Melenor

That was probably a good choice.
    It's looking awesome Mimine

I never disagree with John, excellent. Hope you can get a lot more done over the weekend.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

### Latest WIP ###

The stones at last! I'll try putting some texture in the sea, though I do not really know how yet...

July - Aug '18 Lite Contest WIP7.jpg
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Very epic feeling. Looks really good.

This is turning out great. The composition flows across the page and the 2 insets balance it nicely. The text fits with your line work and balances the dark forests on the upper right. Your line work is beautiful.

The only small thing I see is your perspective on your castles looks off. The horizon line for the castle is much lower than the horizon on the water and main composition. You would be looking down at the castles not straight at them. Now this is my take on it, and perspective inconsistencies bother me, but that is my issue. If you're going for more of an icon look that is valid too.

I look forward to seeing the end result!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elboe View Post
    This is turning out great. The composition flows across the page and the 2 insets balance it nicely. The text fits with your line work and balances the dark forests on the upper right. Your line work is beautiful.

The only small thing I see is your perspective on your castles looks off. The horizon line for the castle is much lower than the horizon on the water and main composition. You would be looking down at the castles not straight at them. Now this is my take on it, and perspective inconsistencies bother me, but that is my issue. If you're going for more of an icon look that is valid too.

I look forward to seeing the end result!

You are right, Elboe, about the castle : it bothers me too, now that you mention it. However I think I lack the skills and the experience yet to make it better. I always had difficulties with buildings and monuments, and it was a little easier with the mountains and the forests. I totally get what you mean! I think I will let it pass on this map, since there is not much time left and that this is not a commission, but surely this is something I will have to work on! Thank you very much for the tip!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The perspective on the mountains are really breath taking !
    And the whole map looks splendid !

I think what Elboe meens is just to make the flat roof of the tower to appear more (en fait, basculer le chateau pour qu'on voit plus les toits, comme si on était plus au-dessus du chateau) But I understand completely that it would take a long time to draw it again, especially since it looks really great (and you say you have "difficulties" with buildings ??? )

I'm looking forward to see how you will "season" the whole thing !

A really great job so far and a very promising map !

JO's right. The landscape perspective is spot on. And buildings are normally seen from ground level, and that's what you have drawn. In a landscape like this it would be seen as if from an airplane. But the drawing of the buildings is so nice, it's definitely not worth redoing it. These challenges are meant to try new things and work on your techniques. Better to finish the challenge than let rework stop you from making the deadline. Good luck!

The buildings are a non issue. It's a map, not a photo.
    Last edited by Falconius; 08-11-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast