Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Test map (Eguisheim 1400)

It's really good!

I assume you already know this but if you don't, I find Viollet-le-Duc to be a great reference in architecture for the era.
    I'm not sure because I think your more into German/Bohemian architecture and there might be differences. His work relates French architecture mostly, I think.
    Here's the link : https://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Dicti...Ie_si%C3%A8cle

Eugčne Viollet-le-Duc was a pioneer of his profession, and a very good one. Still a lot of important techniques to accurately research historical buildings weren’t invented back then, and the time that he lived in had a very romanticized image of the middle ages, so his works turn out to be less accurate than expected in quite a few cases.

Still thanks for the tip.

Also, i would be drawing more french towns if the french had done their homework and provided proper research and literature on their (wooden) medieval houses throughout the country - though it’s gotten better recently. For example, this house at Cahors was recently examined and dated by dendrochronology, resulting in a construction date in the year 1282.
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 08-06-2018 at 05:04 PM.

First of all this thread
    This city map is really becoming incredible. Really top notch work Chlodowenc.

And second, Azelor that link is gold. Wish I knew French, but honestly all I want are the pictures anyways ;P

Quite late to say this, but thanks to you as well, Falconius!

After a while without any work happening on this one, i managed to get a good bit done today. The town itself is done, only a tiny portion of the outer wall remains unfinished. Then, i started drawing a border; the pattern is not yet finalized, but it will become something similar to the border on the other town drawing ( which will also be continued soon)

28D684DA-28F8-4E69-9903-114221268C17.jpeg

Sorry once again for the bad image quality, i took this photo too late for to have any option of using natural lighting.

Another quick update, the walls are finally done and i started detailing the border.

EE48D201-48F5-4BFD-889D-AD9728366CF2.jpeg

It looks really amazing ! Now it's cooler here, maybe I'll visit the village once again : I miss drawing alsacian houses ^^
    Once the border will be done, what are your plans for this map ? Fields around ? other ornaments ? Color ?

Thanks Misty, and to answer your question - i‘ve started drawing the surrounding landscape, the border will be finished later on, maybe there’ll also be a coat of arms, and i gotta figure out a matching font - most likely german textura, mid-late 15th century.

3AC82AD9-1690-439E-AD11-860AF98F93F8.jpeg

And an example of an early 16th century textura that i‘ve seen on a grave monument from 1505 at Stolberg.

55222919-C91D-4924-BDB8-8EFDFDEAF428.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another update, most of the fields on the right side are defined. For the vineyards on the left i still have to figure out a design though. Shadows will probably be done with watercolors.

62ED7672-3AE9-417B-82E4-E34A8A995DD3.jpeg

Here comes the first bit of the nature in its final level of detailing.

928EC012-E1EE-480F-A3B5-AF4ACBC534F9.jpeg

Golly! How are you so good at perspective sketching?? I'm just blown away by how good this is, killer work!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast