Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: April 2020 Challenge: Trading Town of Winterrise

Thanks for the detailed instructions on your technique to draw forests! I'll give it a try for sure in future maps. Seriously, thanks for sharing.
    Your map is getting better and better with each WIP, by the way. Keep on!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor

Not a problem, I hope it helps a little bit finding something to your style! And thank you for the kind words of encouragement

I've done some more work on the labels.
    I've taken out the bottom parchment and tried to use the ocean as the key background.
    I think it works better this way, I had a hard time placing a compass otherwise along with the bottom building key.
    Of course, critiques are much welcomed.

### Latest WIP ###
    winterRise_r9.jpg

Guild Journeyer

i'll use this map in a game session, for sure ! I like your work!

A wonderful entry, dig the vibrant colors!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thank you!!

I had a change of heart and went back to my original thought of the Key
    I updated Photoshop and found a few...laughable moments, once i figured out what was going on

I think this may be the final version - I got some great feedback from the community that really helped me out with this one, thank you all!
    As always, feedback and critiques are highly welcomed

### Latest WIP ###
    winterRise_r12.jpg

Of course, whenever i say or think 'final' that is never likely the case

The small Trading Port Town of Winterrise. Named after the ship which first found the nice plot of land which was to be a city.
    The Town profits most from trades from their ports. The people here are known to be great seafarers as well as excellent hunters with the long bow.
    Winterrise also houses its own Mage's Guild, built upon the Lighthouse not far off the coast. The mages tend the lighthouse while conducting their own studies and experiments on the island.

Popular Places:
    1. Bowen Corner
    a small open corner frequented more by the rich folk. Marinette's Bakery, Crook's Books and Writing Supplies, and the First Post Office sit upon this corner.
    Down the street a bit you can find the Sunset Tavern, frequented by the same crowd.

2. Village Green
    The original heart of the town. Around here you will find the Town Hall, Library, Temple of the All, Academy, Public Kitchens, Court, Jail, among other public sites.
    Shops around here vary, however Mort's Clockworks and Quill's Flowers are known village staples.

3. Myrtle Street
    The most highly walked upon route in the city. This street contains endless shops of varying wares, such as furniture stores, rug sellers, locksmiths, buckle makers, painters, weavers, glass sellers, and more.
    Here you can also find other goods such as dentists, midwives, and herbalists.

4. Ferry District
    What is considered 'Downtown'. In addition to access to the Ferry, which goes to the lighthouse and up and down the coast, you can find some entertainment. Art galleries, Dance Halls, Theaters, Gambling Houses and more are all within walking distance. The Town's most well known Tavern and Inn, Drinks&Biddles, can also be found down here.

5. Industrial Ward
    Things like the Lumberyard, tannery, blacksmith, paper mill, distiller, guild houses, cobbling yard, alchemist and more can be found out here.

6. Shipyard and Warehouses
    This is the main shipyard of the town. Many ships pass in and out of here. Warehouses can also be found here.

7. Fisher's Gate
    The kids like to come here to jump from the bridge, as well as watch the ships come and go. The Flying Fish Inn, Myst's Instruments, Bug's Pastrys, the Coin and Tackle are a few of the shops and goods available around here.

8. Highland Hill Gate
    This is a corner connected to Myrtle Street. Well known paintings, high-end perfumes, jewelers, and other high-priced goods can be found here.
    Magick's Magics can also be found here as well, of course Mage Guild members get a price reduction

9. Redfield Plain
    When the Town hosts Beltane, Yule, or any other festivals(such as marriages) they are usually held here in Redfield Plain just outside of town.

10. The Mage Guild and Lighthouse
    The Mage Guild hosts a number of guests at a time, which is the lighthouse itself (and the underground chamber the mages have created).
    Town folk are welcomed by means of the Ferry. The Mages take care of the lighthouse in return for living on the island, an agreement that has been around since the town was founded.

### Latest WIP ###
    winterRise_r12_c.jpg
    Last edited by morganPotPie; 05-30-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123