View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Maybe I'm wrong about the default setting.

Anyway - I managed to explain

What I'm saying is - what angle do we do this at, considering this is south of the equator.

EDIT: Lighting in CC3 is almost but not quite like lighting a 3D scene. Its pseudo 3D lighting so we have angle (the direction from which the light is coming), and inclination (the height of the sun = length of shadow)
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-08-2017 at 07:59 PM.

ok... you pick an angle, make a png and upload it and we'll use that.
    Or rotate the one I posted to the direction you feel it should be in.
    I am impartial. It just needs to be one set direction.
    That was why I posted the lightray.

But, if you feel it should be another direction, go for it.
    Just post the lightray for everyone else to download.
    and let me know so I can delete the one I posted.

Voolf - if you look at your own house and guess at the dimensions of the whole house, then convert that into a number of 1.5m units, you will be able to draw the rough size and shape of your house on your plan, which will give you a familiar size object to use as a comparison.

Blog Entries

Just for my info, J.E. what are the number of grids in your overall map ? How many feet / m is the map square at the moment if its 5' or 1.5m per grid ?

Whilst I have to agree that 5' seems like small sectors, there are a lot of sectors and each sector is a small amount of the city. Seems to me that 5' per grid will generate a suitable sized city. By my quick reckoning its about 2000 grids of 10000 ft square which is 2 miles square ??? That sounds like plenty.

John - I can change the angle of the sun in a few seconds, no matter how advanced my drawing is - even if its actually finished.

That means it will be easier for me to adjust my lighting than it will for you PS users, who presumably have to make some kind of shadow mask or layer.

Therefore - you lead, we follow

Sound good?

Guild Expert

Mouses shadows seem like a more standard angle to me, and something I'm comfortable working with.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Just for my info, J.E. what are the number of grids in your overall map ? How many feet / m is the map square at the moment if its 5' or 1.5m per grid ?

Whilst I have to agree that 5' seems like small sectors, there are a lot of sectors and each sector is a small amount of the city. Seems to me that 5' per grid will generate a suitable sized city. By my quick reckoning its about 2000 grids of 10000 ft square which is 2 miles square ??? That sounds like plenty.
    I have no idea Red
    But that sounds good to me.
    I never measured any of it.
    I made a grid out of pattern lines, big enough that it would cover the whole area and then called it 5 foot squares.
    Rather arbitrarily I might add. I did a test or two for size and felt it was ... ok. acceptable. passable.

It will be tricky and some areas may seem tighter than people may have wanted, but I think it is actually sort of accurate.

Many fantasy cities are really way bigger than they would really be.
    That said, I can also imagine a bigger space to create in.
    But... there is a certain challenge in doing it in this slightly smaller space.
    Something about it makes it tantalizingly challenging to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Voolf - if you look at your own house and guess at the dimensions of the whole house, then convert that into a number of 1.5m units, you will be able to draw the rough size and shape of your house on your plan, which will give you a familiar size object to use as a comparison.
    I am really sorry Mouse, i must be a dumb, but i can't quite get what you just said to me ;(

Maybe i will just wait for J.E. to start his WIP, or someone else and relate to the size of the building....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    John - I can change the angle of the sun in a few seconds, no matter how advanced my drawing is - even if its actually finished.

That means it will be easier for me to adjust my lighting than it will for you PS users, who presumably have to make some kind of shadow mask or layer.

Therefore - you lead, we follow

Sound good?
    I can change it.. it's fine.
    I didn't put a lot of thought into the direction.
    Just used one that is a simple familiar one for me.

If people feel that the angle you demonstrated is better, so be it.
    I am fine with that.
    We just need to make it known to everyone and quick.
    Befoire they get too deep into what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I am really sorry Mouse, i must be a dumb, but i can't quite get what you just said to me ;(

Maybe i will just wait for J.E. to start his WIP, or someone else and relate to the size of the building....
    Firstly - you're not dumb!

When I get tired I gabble, and by the looks of it that's exactly what I did to you. My bad!

Ok. Think about how many feet long and wide your house is and note that down on a piece of paper.

Then divide that number by 5 (because the squares have 5 foot sides), then write that number down.

Then use those measurements to draw a plan of your house on your grid, so for example if the length of your house is 40 feet, you would have divided that by 5, to give you 8, You would then draw the length of your house 8 grid squares long.

Its still my bad if you still don't understand. I often wonder what the heck I was on about when I re-read some of the stuff I wrote late the night before!

Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast