View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

John - here is my CC3 adjustment to your ray thing.

Fred3.jpg

I will extract the dialogue showing the angles the global sun needs to be set at, and put them below your ray thing on the Index page, then we can all be singing from the same hymn book

But what is the grid real size? and map real size? Do we use the one that J.E. uploded for us? If yes then i guess the approx size would be like this ?

scale.jpeg

Blog Entries

I thought of another question earlier when looking at my sector. Whats the thickness of the main wall ? Is it stone like 15 or 20' thick ? Or more of a pallisade which sounds a bit naff for a city this size. Being karst I would have thought limestone blocks, right ?

And I am guessing this water springs up here which is why the city is here. So my thinking is that the areas near to the water are the oldest and probably either the most expensive, the best protected, or most venerated. Wonder if we might have some aquaducting type thing going on too. All interesting ideas to have a think about.

Voolf - Yes. That looks about right for the size of the houses on the map.

The resolution of the map itself (which isn't what we mean when we talk about scale) is how many pixels fit in each of those tiny squares.

I don't know what that number is, but I'm going to double the size of my base map before I even start work on it, because working on a larger image will be easier.

Redrobes has already said that it doesn't matter to him how big or small our maps are, he will enlarge or shrink them to fit with all the other maps around yours.

Making sense?

The resolution is 300dpi, it is good because this is the one i would work.

Voolf - keep the resolution the same, but double the physical dimensions of the image. It will give you much more flexibility when you are working.

Its like drawing in pencil on paper. If you do the drawing the same size as you're going to frame it and hang it on the wall, then every tiny irregularity you draw on it will always be just as noticeable as the day you drew it.

But!

If you draw it on a piece of paper that is twice the dimensions I height and width, scan it, and reduce it to the size of the first drawing, the tiny irregularities on the reduced image will be only half the size of the irregularities on the first drawing.

I can't really think of a better way of explaining it.

John?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I thought of another question earlier when looking at my sector. Whats the thickness of the main wall ? Is it stone like 15 or 20' thick ? Or more of a pallisade which sounds a bit naff for a city this size. Being karst I would have thought limestone blocks, right ?

And I am guessing this water springs up here which is why the city is here. So my thinking is that the areas near to the water are the oldest and probably either the most expensive, the best protected, or most venerated. Wonder if we might have some aquaducting type thing going on too. All interesting ideas to have a think about.
    15 feet thick seems fine if I compare it with real medieval walled cities like Carcassonne. Definitely in stone for the outer and inner walls. Other areas outside the main city could have wooden palisade around them tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Voolf - keep the resolution the same, but double the physical dimensions of the image. It will give you much more flexibility when you are working.

Its like drawing in pencil on paper. If you do the drawing the same size as you're going to frame it and hang it on the wall, then every tiny irregularity you draw on it will always be just as noticeable as the day you drew it.

But!

If you draw it on a piece of paper that is twice the dimensions I height and width, scan it, and reduce it to the size of the first drawing, the tiny irregularities on the reduced image will be only half the size of the irregularities on the first drawing.

I can't really think of a better way of explaining it.

John?
    I know that one Mouse, but thanks for heads up anyway I just didn't know the original dimenstions we suppose to work with.

It all gets a bit confusing when we are talking about scale, paper sizes and resolutions - all of which are completely different things, but I'm glad everything is sorted now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    The resolution is 300dpi, it is good because this is the one i would work.
    Have a read through:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=2596
    Esp #4

300dpi is the resolution of the print of the map. Its not relevant to the map until you want to print it. You can use 300dpi 600dpi or any other. Its the overall number of pixels you use that is important. The DPI when printing it will determine its size of print.

Its usually a good idea to double the pixel resolution of an image when working on it and then scale it back to half size for the final. In the case of using J.E's posted image for your sector, scale it to whatever you are comfortable working with and forget about the DPI until you want it printed.

Page 34 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast