Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks like you have done a fine job. Now comes the hard part...adapting and changing things to create your own style
    Yeah; I noticed that the style was exactly the same but some of the techniques are so good! 50% grey overlay layer, TLS, etc. I think I just need to practise more :/

XD
    My first (and only) maps to date!:
    Coa'q Island
    and Pinser Shore!

I know a guy with a website all about GIMP - have a look (he hardly has any members so he needs helping out)

Guild Apprentice

Hey RobA,
    Just got windows 7, so I had to restart the tutorial. Quick Question: how do i fill a layer 50% grey? Thanks

BMojo

Edit: NVM my noobishness got slapped in the face when i saw the thread search button! i gots it now...
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMojo View Post
    Hey RobA,
    Just got windows 7, so I had to restart the tutorial. Quick Question: how do i fill a layer 50% grey? Thanks

BMojo

Edit: NVM my noobishness got slapped in the face when i saw the thread search button! i gots it now...
    50% Grey is one of the colours in the pallette that RobA tells you to download
    at the start of the tutorial. You can view all of the colours in the pallette editor dialogue for the selected pallette. For convience add this menu as a tab so that you can view all of the colous of the selected pallette quickly.

Hope that helps (sorry if I din't wait for RobA to answer; I just looked at this tutorial so much I know it inside out )

XD

Edit: NVM, I read that you put NVM =D.
    Last edited by Blamenck; 07-21-2009 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Didn't read the previous post well enough
    My first (and only) maps to date!:
    Coa'q Island
    and Pinser Shore!

I know a guy with a website all about GIMP - have a look (he hardly has any members so he needs helping out)

Guild Apprentice

Sigh... I seem to be having so many problems with gimp...

My latest dilemma is that after i fill the "Grass Bumps" layer 50% grey, I cant apply a bump map. When I try to do it, the preview box is grey, and nothing happens after I hit ok (there isnt even the icon to the right of the layer thumbnail).

Many thanks for putting up with my antics!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Guild Novice

Sigh... I seem to be having so many problems with gimp...

My latest dilemma is that after i fill the "Grass Bumps" layer 50% grey, I cant apply a bump map. When I try to do it, the preview box is grey, and nothing happens after I hit ok (there isnt even the icon to the right of the layer thumbnail).

Many thanks for putting up with my antics!
    First off, you have to select the right layer to apply as a bump map in the drop down list at the right side of that box. Secondly, applying the bump map isn't the same as applying a layer mask, which is what appears to the right of the layer thumbnail.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

That's right. For this bumpmap to work, you have to select from the drop-down a layer that has a black-and-white image that represents a sort of "height-field-map" for the bumpmap filter. In this case, it looks like you need to select the layer you have named "Grass Bump Map" which is located right below the all-gray "Grass Bumps" layer on the layer stack, according to the attached image.

Good luck.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

So, I should apply the bump mask to the hidden "grass bump map" layer? then it looks horrible once I unhide the layer. This is the best I could get with a layer mask and reducing opacity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keep the grass bump map layer hidden.

What you want to do is, when creating a bump map on the 50% gray layer ("Grass Bumps") you'll run the render bumpmap filter, and the bumpmap dialog will pop up (as you screencapped earlier). Then, from the first drop down at the top of the dialog ("Bump Map"), select the name of the layer that has the black/white/gray heighfield you want to turn into a bump map. In your case, I'm guessing it's the layer named "Grass Bump Map" which looks like a turbulent cloudy layer (just the right kind of cloudiness, I think, for this). Play with the elevationd and depth settings to your liking, then hit OK.

Your gray layer should now look all bumpmappy. Set it to overlay to make the map look all bumpmappy. Apply a mask to limit it to the land. Leave the cloudy "Grass Bump Map" layer hidden - it's only purpose was to provide the gray "Grass Bumps" layer something to key off of to make the bump map.

Hope that helps!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Yes i got it now. Once you understand it the process seems so ridiculously simple...

thanks anyway!

Yes i got it now. Once you understand it the process seems so ridiculously simple...

thanks anyway!

Great, glad I could be of help!
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast