Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I use a mouse, for it is a testament to my brokeness.

Guild Novice

I'm using a tablet right now. You don't need an expensive tablet to be able to see the benefits first hand. Just about any tablet that works well will do. I recommend a Bamboo connect for $79. I personally am using my old Wacom Graphire 2. Pen still has a working nib (never changed it in 10 years). You can replace the nibs and change them for tool type on the new Intuos Pens. I'm not sure if they work on other tablets, ut the Bamboo pen comes with spare standard nibs anyway.

100% mouse for me BUT.

On a recent plane flight I sat behind a graphic designer doing some stunning work on his ipad. I have to say it was excellent.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I hope it was fine to ask here instead of creating a new thread about it. I apologize if I put it in the wrong place.

I currently have Genius Tablet, but I want to update to something better. It is really hard to actually draw with the tablet, though coloring is very easy with it (I do not know why). So I was wondering, should I just save up (will probably take another year xD) for an Intuos3/4 (if so, which one is better?) or would Bamboo Create work well enough? I heard Create is just as good as Intuos4, minus the pressure issue, which I was told isn't much of a difference if you practice with the Create tablet.

My price range is 100$, but my sister will be pitching in around 50$ as well (we're both artists), and I think I'd be able to squeeze in another 20 (not very sure of it though). So, if I bought a Create, would I regret it down the line in like a year or two? I heard Intuos4 pen nubs wear down so you have to replace them and the texture sheet over the board every 5-6 months, which to me seems like a con.

Thanks to anyone who can help me and again, I apologize if I erred and should have made a thread instead.

Alex~

Difference: Bamboo has 512 levels, Intuos has 1024, so its just more sensitive. Also, Intuos has tilt angle support, but I don't know what that really means... I have done fine for the past 4 years with my Bamboo...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Difference: Bamboo has 512 levels, Intuos has 1024, so its just more sensitive. Also, Intuos has tilt angle support, but I don't know what that really means... I have done fine for the past 4 years with my Bamboo...
    Tilt means that the tablet senses the angle you hold the pen in, transferring that information to the application, which can choose to make the brush behave accordingly

Thank you for the reply, jfrazierjr!

May I ask what size is best to have then? I heard the smaller the easier it is and the more precise your strokes are, but I would like to be extra sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Thank you for the reply, jfrazierjr!

May I ask what size is best to have then? I heard the smaller the easier it is and the more precise your strokes are, but I would like to be extra sure.
    Well.. honestly, this is something that you will just have to determine for yourself. If you do hand drawing and make long sweeping strokes, then likely the bigger one will work better for you. Since all I draw are maps and the occasional (bad) creature attempt, I don't do that long a stroke most of the time. Personally, I have a Bamboo Fun medium (6x8 in), but I bought my wife a smaller one(umm is it 4x6 in????) and have used it once or twice and found it too small(or perhaps I am just so used to my bigger one!). Personally, for me, I would not want anything larger than what I use because I use on a laptop and it's nice to be able to carry around in a bag, but again, that totally depends upon your situation.

I have been eyeing an Intuos, but I just can't justify the expense with as little time as I get to spend on mapping for the past year or two(not to mention not having the money).

Ultimately, I would say any tablet is better than NO tablet, so if you have lot's of projects you are working on and it would take you a year to save up for an Intuos, i would say get a Bamboo NOW if that's what you can afford.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for the helpful posts, jfrazierjr. I think any size would be well suited for my hands, but I'll play it safe and get a bigger size than the smallest Bamboo Create, that way I (and my sister too) will have extra space just in case.

Thanks again! As soon as I can, I'll rep you.

Not overly expensive. Check out the Intuos line. They are usb and plug and play. The pens and mice (both included), are wireless(the only way to go..being tethered by a cord will hamper your efforts.) The pen is most useful as it responds to the amount of pressure used, making wider or darker lines. If I am doing some quick fixes, I use my laptop without a tablet. If I am doing a large job with a great deal of detail, I use the desktop with my 12x12 Intuos 2 tablet. Hope this helps.
    Unkei

Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast