Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Apprentice

Problem number bajillion and 1... After i save the mountains to a channel, I delete (?) the pure black and white layer (the new layer that i saved the channel from). Where do I put the normalized layer? I have no idea what the "real map file" is.

This is the problem with trying to learn new software...
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Not sure I understand the question. Can you tell which step you're on?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

Im near the end of step 11, when you are using TLS to create the mountains.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Hmm, okay, let me see if I follow it right:

(I) You've used the TLS to create to create what, at this point, looks like a mostly black area with a small white-and-gray cloudy section that represents where the mountains will go, right?

(II) Then, you used the wand to select the black region, and have saved this to a channel. This is the channel you'll use later to create the mountain mask.

(III) You then copied the visible image, correct, and pasted that as a new layer into your working file? You use the normalize function on this layer. This layer basically is the merged version of the TLS.

(IV)You'll then duplicate the normalized layer (so you'll have 2 that look the same). One will be your black-and-white heightfield. The other you're going to use as the base color for your mountains. The one you name "Mountain Color" you'll use the gradient map to color (then normalize the colors on that).

So, at that point, you apply a layer mask using the Channel you saved earlier in this step (part II of my post).

Am I getting to the crux of your problem?

So, from what I can see, there was never a need to delete a black-and-white layer. As for normalized layers, you've got the normalized black-and-white layer (from III) and your normalized color layer (from IV). The normalized black-and-white layer it doesn't matter where you put it. It's going to be a heightfield for the bumpmap you're about to do for the mountains. You'll leave it invisible. As for the normalized Mountain Color layer, you'll want it above your regular ground color layers, and possibly above the ground bump map (that's not really that important, as that bumpmap has comparatively little affect on the overall appearance of the mountains). Of course, once colored and masked, you'll want your mountain color layer visible.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Guild Apprentice

I understand this, except for the part about the "working file". I have no idea what that is. Should i have two files of the map?

No, you should only have one file, IIRC.

So any copying of layers, etc. should be pasted back into the original file.

(Although, depending on your system, you could find that file gets really massive and slows your system, at least I know it does on mine, to the point where I have started breaking up tasks into multiple files, but that's a story for another day.)
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Guild Apprentice

Oh, so RobA is suggesting that I do the TLS in another document, and then bring the finished layer back to my main file to avoid slowing down my system?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMojo View Post
    Oh, so RobA is suggesting that I do the TLS in another document, and then bring the finished layer back to my main file to avoid slowing down my system?
    No, that's just something I do.

So, once you've copied the visible from the TLS, paste it into your file (I believe it also gives you the option to paste as a new file, so that might be where the confusion is), and normalize it.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Guild Apprentice

I got it!!! Thanks a bunch... the terminology in the tutorial confused me. Have copious amounts of rep.

Btw, is there a way to get Snow on the tops of the mountains? I was thinking of making a layer mask on a copy of the mountain bump map with a white gradient.
    Last edited by BlackMojo; 07-23-2009 at 06:07 PM.

The easiest way to get snow is to just add a transparent layer set to screen mode, and paint with a white soft brush at partial opacity.

Alternately, create a gradient with white at the end instead of the FG-BG gradient suggested in the tutorial.

-Rob A>

Page 35 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast