Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eastmott and Frostmarch (Commission WIP)

This looks really nice, I really like the way you do your forests and your river valleys work well. Only thing I'd mention is the dashed line isn't all that smooth with non-aligned angles. Another great piece.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Looking wonderful Josiah. I must say you're learning superfast, and you're doing splendidly. Nothing but praise here!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Great work Josiah. Loving your use of colour here and your linework is always fantastic!

Only nitpick, is that though I love the little building symbols I think too many look like they're floating above the land rather than on it. Maybe a tad more shading and just ensuring they don't go over the rivers and other things too much. Knowing you, Josiah, I'm sure you'll sort this out no problem!

Really great job all round, and yes, we do deserve more updates!

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    The icons are wonderful ! A tiny nitpick the north-east tower seems to sit flat on a slope and you got a city that's bitting the river. It's fought to place the icons she they represent buildings. Keep up the good work Josiah ! And I agree with Daniel, a stroke outlining the icons would be a great idea.
    Thanks Thomrey!
    The stroke outlining the icons was a great idea, but unfortunately because the small ground details and shadow is part of the icon it ends of leaving a big black blob beneath it, which is not very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    This looks really nice, I really like the way you do your forests and your river valleys work well. Only thing I'd mention is the dashed line isn't all that smooth with non-aligned angles. Another great piece.
    Thank you Snodsy!
    Yeah, how would you get the dashed line smooth? I can't figure it out. I would guess you have to use a vector program like illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Looking wonderful Josiah. I must say you're learning superfast, and you're doing splendidly. Nothing but praise here!
    Dank u wel Caenwyr!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Great work Josiah. Loving your use of colour here and your linework is always fantastic!

Only nitpick, is that though I love the little building symbols I think too many look like they're floating above the land rather than on it. Maybe a tad more shading and just ensuring they don't go over the rivers and other things too much. Knowing you, Josiah, I'm sure you'll sort this out no problem!

Really great job all round, and yes, we do deserve more updates!
    Thanks GLS!
    Hmm... you think so? Individually shading each icon might take a while. Honestly to me they don't look like they're floating at all. I don't know if I'll end up doing that... But thank you very much.

Here's a bit of an update. Fixed a few tiny things and added a title.

Eastmott.jpg

Let me know what you think!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I like the title. Clean and tidy and fitting in with the rest.

I think with the floaty icons, it's not all of them just some with the way they interact with your linework, particularly the one in the bottom over the mountains and in places where they clip rivers (though I think you may have moved one, but on my phone right now so hard to check). Others do look great though and if you think it looks good, then maybe it's just me and don't worry too much about it.

Plus, they definitely all look good zoomed out, and i only get picky zoomed all in.

EDIT: It is looking very good Josiah, soi hope I haven't come across to harsh with any of that. You work always amazes me and you're still so young, so I can't wait to see how you'll be in just a few years time!
    Last edited by Greg; 01-20-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Its looking great - the symbols are looking much better than they were the first time I saw them on this map

Please remember I don't know the first thing about PS, but... is it possible to draw the borders as solid lines and then just erase the gaps? That's how I was taught to do it many years ago at college (yes, I also did an HND in OS standard Cartography... many years BC!). You will find that a dashed line is much better if its really a line, and not just a trail of straight dashes that may, or may not, line up with one another.

Try it and see.

I have no idea if this could be translated to a 'brush' [Mouse pulls face at screen and just hopes she has the right term!]

EDIT:

going dotty.jpg

This is just a sample done I less than 2 minutes by a very inexperienced tablet user If I had taken longer I would have been more careful to make sure that the eraser crossed the line perpendicular to the line each time. I'm very out of practice!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Very cool! Now, that northern tower is gonna be hard to attack .

Update! Added some text and stuff...

Eastmott.jpg

Some of the text is a bit hard to read, I notice now. I will attempt to amend that. Any thoughts are welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    I like the title. Clean and tidy and fitting in with the rest.

I think with the floaty icons, it's not all of them just some with the way they interact with your linework, particularly the one in the bottom over the mountains and in places where they clip rivers (though I think you may have moved one, but on my phone right now so hard to check). Others do look great though and if you think it looks good, then maybe it's just me and don't worry too much about it.

Plus, they definitely all look good zoomed out, and i only get picky zoomed all in.

EDIT: It is looking very good Josiah, soi hope I haven't come across to harsh with any of that. You work always amazes me and you're still so young, so I can't wait to see how you'll be in just a few years time!
    Thank you GLS! Yes, I did move one or two of the icons from off of a river.
    All I have to do is post a smaller size and there won't be any critiques again! (that's not the reason I post part size!) I usually post half size but I sometimes forget.
    Absolutely not at all! Thank you for all the critique, you've never come across harsh in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its looking great - the symbols are looking much better than they were the first time I saw them on this map

Please remember I don't know the first thing about PS, but... is it possible to draw the borders as solid lines and then just erase the gaps? That's how I was taught to do it many years ago at college (yes, I also did an HND in OS standard Cartography... many years BC!). You will find that a dashed line is much better if its really a line, and not just a trail of straight dashes that may, or may not, line up with one another.

Try it and see.

I have no idea if this could be translated to a 'brush' [Mouse pulls face at screen and just hopes she has the right term!]

EDIT:

going dotty.jpg

This is just a sample done I less than 2 minutes by a very inexperienced tablet user If I had taken longer I would have been more careful to make sure that the eraser crossed the line perpendicular to the line each time. I'm very out of practice!
    Thank you mouse!
    Hmm... That technique didn't cross my mind, I could try it and see how it goes! Thanks for showing that! I think that might work much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very cool! Now, that northern tower is gonna be hard to attack .
    Thanks!
    Haha, yes indeed.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Did you use a path and stoke to get the initial dashed lines?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Did you use a path and stoke to get the initial dashed lines?
    I used a flattened square brush with enough spacing to get that effect and the angle control as 'direction'.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast