Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: Shilfah - The Floating Village

Hello erybody!
    Another WIP update:
    - Added some details to make the village look a bit more lively. I focussed on the houses which are described and depicted on the legend.
    The others may follow later.
    - i placed a damaged boat, "jacked up"(?) in front of the boatbuilders House.
    - placed two baskets on Farah's island.
    - i dug two flowerbeds for Ghalgil. The poor guy was missing the beautiful palace gardens so badly, so over the years he became a passionate gardener himself. Of course this makes him even more suspicious in the eyes of the other villagers... only the people from the riverbanks doing that kind of stuff ... pff...
    - i experimented with placing some (fresh?) fishes near one house.
    - I also added more shadows, to the houses and some other elements (e.g. the fences).

### LATEST WIP ###
    Shilfah_the_floating_village_WIP10.jpg

Cheers,
    AL

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Looks great Abu. Very well put together too.
    Thank you J. Edward!

I think it looks Fantastic!!

Good looking map but that's a lot of gold. You know I could see you using this technique to make a killer miniature golf course. Great entry.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I love these little touches that you're adding. It really fleshes the village out.

Thank you Chick Pea! Thanks Bogie, glad you like it! I tried to channel map-element veterans like you in the process .

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Good looking map but that's a lot of gold. You know I could see you using this technique to make a killer miniature golf course. Great entry.
    Hey Jaxilon, thanks a lot for the hint with the gold. I think i'll change the colour of the outer frame. Great idea with the miniature golf, maybe in a future project! XD The houses look indeed a bit like artifically made pipes. I'll see what i can do to give them more of a "Wabi Sabi" feeling (thanks to Meshon for the reference) As a beginner in GIMP, i was already happy that the 3d-ish effect worked as i intended...

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Tulio Botinha's Avatar

Really nicely done, a beautiful piece of art!

I liked your description a lot, it was well made and gives a solid ideia about the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulio Botinha View Post
    Really nicely done, a beautiful piece of art!

I liked your description a lot, it was well made and gives a solid ideia about the setup.
    Thanks a lot Tulio Botinha!

After some days off on holidays i redid the overall layout and colouring.
    - First of all i switched the left and the right half because i think in digital form it is better "readable" this way (with the actual village map as a priority on the upper left side). In the end it is one A3 page or two A4 pages (seperate, double-sided, folded or crumpled up and thrown away ) to handle it better at the table.
    - I added some more parchment-texture to the Background of the text and reworked the reed-mat texture.
    - I made a border ornament and rearranged the frame a bit.
    I'm totally unsure about the colour-palette now (also changed the colour of the title) and would love to hear whether the changes make any sense at all.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Shilfah_the_floating_village_WIP11.jpg
    Cheers,
    AL

I'm glad you flipped it. It looks better.
    The little inset images by the description look great.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast