Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: July/August Lite Mapping Challenge: Black Talon Reach

That's a heck of a lot of progress, Storm, considering you started all over again not so long ago.

Thanks! If I can get my effects to work, I might actually be done by later this afternoon.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Of course! I keep forgetting you are so many hours behind me here in the UK. Its already 8.00 pm over here right now

Best of luck, Storm

Nice update, ladystorm! I really like the snow cover on the ground and the rocks that border the map... looks so REAL! O.O

I also loved how the covered bridge looks all broken-down and is actually missing big chunks of the roof... just like any respectable gang of bandits would like it! (Bandits, as we all know, are notorious for not liking things to look "new" or "pretty".) But seriously, I really like that bridge, but I think its roof should get some snow too.

Way to go! Can't wait to see what the Black Talons add next!

Oh yes! This is definitely coming together now, Storm

I only have one suggestion, if I may?

This may be down to the unusual way my mind just happens to be interpreting the shadows/glow on the cliffs (please remember, I have difficulty seeing relief shading the way its supposed to be seen without the contour shading to back it up, so shadows are my weakest point anyway), but I think the cliff shadows might need to be a little less intense? My mind is interpreting a crack or a void along the base of the cliff wherever there's no snow at the point where the cliff meets the ground.

There's nothing wrong with the snow itself, but because it lies above the cliff shadow it looks a bit like its floating in places, particularly in the bottom right hand corner. If you were to reduce the shadow/glow just a bit, and put the ground snow underneath the cliffs, then add another Sheet of snow above the cliffs again and dot it with much smaller patches of snow (if you want to make drifts against the cliff in places), I think that would just make this map the bees knees...

But then again - I might be completely wrong! You know me and shadows, Storm. I must be famous back on PF for that floating island that took so long to get right! LOL

@mixerbach - thanks! I liked the covered bridge also. Unfortunately, I couldn't use it when I had to start over, because I would have had to enlarge it too much, it would have messed up my scaling. I had to change to one I could lengthen, without enlarging. And yes, the new cliffs are a lot better than the old ones! I'm glad you like the changes!

@Mouse - I think the issues you're seeing are actually a combination if the cliff shadows when mixed with the shadows of the trees and things. I'm starting to wonder if I have too many trees. The idea is the woods sprang up after the fall of the original village, and the bandit gang use the woods as camouflage. And it is very cold up here... This place is in Ehmeral, my northern most continent in Larysia, best real world comparison is up above Alaska, near Antarctica.

Anyway, this little pocket valley sits in perpetual twilight because of the cliffs and the woods. The sun is almost never seen. So the shadows almost need to stay the way they are. But the snow drifts(if I can pull it off) are a good idea. Let me see if I can make it work without this camp becoming too busy.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

I like the trees! You get the feeling of peering down through them to see into the secrets of the camp. Please don't go and get rid of them just because of something some crazy Mouse said! LOL

Oh, don't worry, I'm not.getting rid of my trees. I also wasnt able to make the snow drift idea work either...I tried it, I just couldn't make it look right.

What I did do, to fix that problem you mentioned, was to remove the glow on them. They still have their shadow, but the extra glow is gone. I'm also going to run the snow under the cliffs, to cut.down on the float affect. And I've decided what to do about the unroofed buildings.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

And just like that, the pro comes up with the ultimate cliff-hanger... LOL!

I'm glad you sorted out the snow so that you feel happy about it. Can't wait to see the next WIP

Ograth Blooddrinker stood in the middle of Black Talon Reach and grinned a sinnister smile that would freeze the blood of all he met. He was pleased by what he saw. Almost a hundred cut throats, thieves and assasins had joined his ranks, the camp was finished, and a decent amount of booty was already accumulating and stored in their new 'warehouse'. And woe to the unwary soul that tried to steal from him!

The cavern tunnels were all clear now, giving them unlimited access to the different cities, towns and trade routes through these mountains. He thought of all those that had shunned him, ostracized him... his family, his communities - human and orc alike. So he was too orc like to fit in human society, and not orc enough to fit into orc society was he? He'd never amount to anything would he? Ograth's grin turned into a fearsome growl. He'd show them. He'd show them all! Let the Black Talon's reign of terror begin!

Black Talon Reach is now complete. Thank you all for your comments and suggestions along the way! I hope you all enjoy!

### LATEST WIP ###

Blacktalon Reach09lrg.PNG

Oh, and before I forget - the Cartographer's Guild has my express written permission to redistribute this map as they see fit for promotional purposes.
    If you need more than that, just let me know what you need, and I will provide it.
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 08-03-2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: redistribution permission
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast