Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Multiple textured paths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ohh, sorry, I forget acronyms are really just nonsense if you don't use the whole name first. Middle Earth Digital Elevation Model Project, and it is much easier to post a link than explain it, so here is a link.

I feel the need to waffle on about it, but I have another interview in a bit (who does interviews for employment at 1045 pm anyway, by the time it starts I will have been awake for 18 hours, and not to cheery ), so I will just say, Middle Earth, Terrain, Maps, Tolkien, and more terrain.
    SeerBlue
    SeerBlue is me, but more importantly the Four Happy Carpet Orcs +2 (FHCO +2) are Lizzy (BumbleMouse, 16), Race (Raith Eliathy, 11), Roy (Ol' Horsehair, 9), and Lena Marie (Lemur, 6) Kimi (Whurm,2), and Sachiko (MoMo,1)
    All creative inspiration is theirs, from characters to maps to tells, I only fill in the details.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool! Thanks, I'll check it out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I am getting close to a finish now. I have all the tiles with a grid uploaded. I may upload the non grid ones and *replace* the current set so if you want your tiles with a grid then grab them in the next few weeks. I will have gridded ones here for a while - at least until challenge & voting end.

Actually saying that the hatching set did not have a grid on them. All the rest do.

There are eight sets Cobbles, Dungeon, Hatching, Marsh, MtnPath, Snow, WoodPath, WoodStream. They are all zipped set of 18 tiles. All are JPG so there is some loss in them from the pure version but all are 2048 which is nearly 300dpi. They range from 13 to 26Mb except hatching which is 7Mb.

Cobbles
    Dungeon
    Hatching
    Marsh
    MtnPath
    Snow
    WoodPath
    WoodStream

I will add just one or two extra token type additions but thats mostly it.

Just to note I would like to declare these "Creative Commons - Non Commercial - Share alike - attribution". So spread them about a bit. And lets see any photos of them printed and used !!!

Blog Entries

A hole in the ground. (Looks like a purple worm or Xorn type...)

I have attached both the color and alpha parts. You will need to put them together to make up the token. Should be easy in PS or Gimp.

Example after that is done on the mountain path tile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Just whooped up some trees for ya. Had to model one in 3D. A bit tedious but its alright I think.

Blog Entries

And finally, archetypal pit to match the dungeon floor texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    There are eight sets Cobbles, Dungeon, Hatching, Marsh, MtnPath, Snow, WoodPath, WoodStream. They are all zipped set of 18 tiles. All are JPG so there is some loss in them from the pure version but all are 2048 which is nearly 300dpi. They range from 13 to 26Mb except hatching which is 7Mb.
    These are really great. I want to say thanks again for doing them.

Quick question on scaling, they're not exactly 300 dpi - so for purposes of scaling one inch to X pixels... what is the resolution you were working at? I'm getting 292.57142(lots of numbers) which is an awkward number.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mrugnak View Post

Quick question on scaling, they're not exactly 300 dpi - so for purposes of scaling one inch to X pixels... what is the resolution you were working at? I'm getting 292.57142(lots of numbers) which is an awkward number.
    Thanks, yeah the dpi is a little awkward but you can normally set up your printer so that the print its exactly 7 inches. If thats a little difficult then set up a custom page size of 7 inches and print to fit page. Or I guess at extreme end, print a few off and scale it so that the grid is 1 inch by using a ruler which is the most accurate way of calibrating it. At the end of the day the current value is only 2.5% off of 300dpi so assuming the printer is perfect then 1 inch is going to be about 0.6mm or so out which is not a lot really. You ought to be able to ask the printer for 292dpi in any case and it should scale it right. The printer will scale the image no matter what you do to it because very few printers are natively exactly 300dpi so its all just numbers - 300 exactly is no better or worse than 292. As long as you have enough to show good res then you should be fine.

If you have any printer trouble then post and explain and we can sort it out.

Post Take it from an expert!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrugnak View Post

Take it from an expert - I run two companies in graphics and digital printing (two if you include Gamer Printshop.)

Most photographic quality printing can be achieved at 200 dpi. Only the most detailed maps with small text labels present a problem. The important issue for color is color gamut or the range of color. A 48 bit color image is a far higher quality photo, but still only requires 200 dpi to accurate print.

Small text requires high resolution, like 600 dpi.

I've printed huge Campaign Cartographer files with teeny, tiny text - they were the only blurry issue on the map. Everything else was perfect.

So photo images or terrain maps created at higher resolutions are generally unnecessary.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

*shifty look*

I was considering them for a virtual table top, actually, which means that my printer's automatic scaling isn't any help under the circumstances.

MapTools draws a grid (Square or hexagonal) based on the pixel dimensions you give it - and it only accepts integers, not floating points. 292 will be close "enough" probably, they're small tiles - I'm always a bit leery of being off, however, because on a larger map, all those decimal places end up with your grid being off at the edges.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast