Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A map in a bottle 2

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    Superbe!
    peut-ętre changer la texture "cuir bleu" de la mer.
    Yes that blue leather did look a little "queer" to me too

Thomrey have you abandoned the original ink-drawn map concept? I was only going to suggest changing the tone of the ink. It's conceivable he may have retrieved a bottle of red ink from the wreckage, but Victorian cochineal ink is not quite that shade. Otherwise I loved it.

Yeah, I dropped the inked map. Anyone stranded on an island wouldn't draw such a precise island. I'll try to draw the ink-drawn version later and do something like the Aventurien map drawn by SteffenBrand with the imperfections coming from a " nose in the dirt" approach. But I'll certainly keep your idea of a red-brown ink in mind (the dark red of Noodler's Ink is what powers my fountain pen ).

The new map is intended as a faithful depiction of the place so I'd like to see as less ink lines as possible on the map, hence the coast and riverbank disappearance and the change of color for the forest and grasslands lines. What I don't really know is, is it good enough ? I guess it works with the coast (even better when I'll shade the sea) but for the rest, I don't know.

I've been working on some sort of compass rose and got carried away with the details. Might use it for some other project, dunno yet. Line work and a colored attempt :

Skullsanscouleur.jpg Skullcolor.jpg

I'm not satisfied by the colors when it's zoomed in, hence the lower resolution (yes, I cheat).

EDIT : I forgot. I used the wonderful pattern designed by Steffen Brand that you can find here, post #4 :
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29060
    Last edited by ThomasR; 08-25-2016 at 02:10 PM.

This is coming together great Thomas. The many landscape details are wonderful and, together with all the little rocks, make the whole place look really lively! But man, the compass rose is just spectacular! Curious to see it on this map, but in my view it would be even absolutely worth it, to draw a whole new map only to feature this excellent piece.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu ! I still have to tacle the beast id est the forests.

About the compass, it was also a warm up for my Guildworld map but it came out better than expected so, it might be the emblem of one of the maps (yes, I intend to do two maps for my country, some kind of alternate reality thing or dual kingdom, still not set in stone but it'll end up on the Guildworld map after a color cleaning).

Wow, that skull compass is a gold nugget !

You dare call the Dead Sun Kingdom's emblem a crude compass ? You'll be sacrificed first during the eclipse ! (ou comment recycler)

Oh, please, don't get upset, O mighty God of Boredom !

I brag and brag about that crest but haven't started my Guild world, I'm lame, I'm stuck by my mountains. I have to dive directly into it and wip something quickly.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 09-02-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Realy nice compasses... Realy "alive"... so to speak..

Hope to see it on the map that goes with !

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234