Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
Huh, I've actually something more to try here: a night map!

Attachment 105125

The problem I have no is: how many light sources should I use??? What could serve as a light source anyway? Argh...
Quite possibly none. Unless there is magical light or technology has advanced to gaslight at the very least, it is going to be very dark at night. The risk of fire in cities is simply too great; you stay home when it gets dark. Official patrols may be allowed, and these might well carry a lantern, but that would And a medieval style town, with over-hanging upper stories and narrow streets is much darker than a rural area on the same night. Your broad streets would allow a fair amount of visibility under the moon. Do they march parades down all those streets? Even by modern standards, that's a lot of open space for streets. Of course, that could have been done to make crossing them at night hard to conceal, if the city was planned and thief/spy/assassin activity was a bigger concern than the expense of additional costs for longer city walls.

Magic and technology can virtually turn night into day and create a very different urban environment. Magic doesn't need to be spells, either. Luminescent mosses hung from the rooftops could provide a gentle nightly light.