Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed WIP

Guild Expert

Thanks for the advice Voolf, I had a chance to check out some ski maps like you suggested, I never knew they exsisted, definitely a great resource. I can see myself looking to them again, and again for inspiration on how to form my mountains.

I definitely need to experiment more with line placement, there's no feel for it here, I've been painstakingly redoing them, over, and over until they seem right, that's why it's taking so long to make any progress.

Hey kacey,

I like the new look as well even though the first one was more to my liking. The mountains still rock on toast and i do think that the first look at the forests has promise. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of forests but some CG members managed to pull the style off to a satisfactory end and i think you are on a good path to do that as well (no pressure )

Also, good to see you are back on your Ehren map *thumbs up*
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Hey kacey,

I like the new look as well even though the first one was more to my liking. The mountains still rock on toast and i do think that the first look at the forests has promise. It will be interesting to see how they turn out. I'm not the biggest fan of that kind of forests but some CG members managed to pull the style off to a satisfactory end and i think you are on a good path to do that as well (no pressure )

Also, good to see you are back on your Ehren map *thumbs up*
    Thanks Eilathen, I'm still going to use the other coast, just for another project. I'd like to do a few maps in this style so I'll need the practice, and I put a fair bit of time into the first version of the coast so I won't let it go to waste. I've never tried this style of forest before so I'm also interested as to how it will turn out tho I've tried testing some colour on them, and I'm not having much luck. Actually the only forest I've ever done is on the Ehren map, I don't know if anyone has noticed but my two finished maps don't have forests, and there's a reason for this...I suck at them.

I think the forests may need a little shading first before you colour them to give them a bit of 3 dimensional form.

I tried to make you an example, but using only a mouse it was a bit of a disaster, and I was soon so crippled with laughter that I couldn't finish it.

It looked very much like an extremely fat 6 headed caterpillar having a disagreement with itself about which way to go.

So I do know how hard it is
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-24-2016 at 09:52 AM.

Guild Expert

I've done the first pass of mountain shading, and highlights, I still have to add hills, and do a second pass on the shadow side darkening the peaks, and I'll probably turn down the opacity on the highlights then do another pass there too, but with more detail.

I also shuffled around the crater I was working on because I still want to use it on the first version to make a second map down the road, and wanted to make it a bit different.

first mountain pass.jpg

Loving the way the mountains come along. It is looking really good, kacey!

I wish all you fellow CG-lers a happy new year, i hope you'll have a great day and fun festivities!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Loving the way the mountains come along. It is looking really good, kacey!

I wish all you fellow CG-lers a happy new year, i hope you'll have a great day and fun festivities!
    Thanks Eilathen, I appreciate the feedback as always.... Hope you have a good new years too.

Looks nice kacey, very good job so far
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Looks nice kacey, very good job so far
    Thanks Voolf!

The shading of the mountains is matching perfectly the background paper texture, imo. Very impressive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast