Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Feb / Mar '18 Lite Challenge: The Feuding States

Guild Expert

The mountains are looking much better Straf, but maybe darken them a little? So we can see them more.

There's a lot of balancing to be done on the various layer opacities kacey. I've upped it a bit on the mountains as they were a bit faded in the image I uploaded. Everything seems to look different when it's exported. I've now started messing around with labelling. I don't know if these place names are going to stay - they seem a bit odd. There's still quite a lot to do on this map.

### Latest WIP ###
    Feuding States.jpg

Guild Expert

Making up names is so hard, I feel you're pain I'm struggling with mine right now I always feel like the ones I pick are really awfull.

The names are slowly evolving into some sort of semi-conlang.

### Latest WIP ###
    Feuding States.jpg

EDIT: Oh and I've made another parchment layer to sit on it all.

The mountains look great and I like the colors very much. It's a really harmonious composition, especially with the new parchment layer. I'm just not sure about the rivers. To me the lines look a bit too heavy/broad compared to the linework of the rest of the map.

Great idea with the new parchment - it binds the whole map together much better than before. A unifying effect

I'm still not keen on the double line effect of the political boundaries. To me the gap is a bit strange - like a strip of land that is no-man's land. I think most political borders tend to be a single (sometimes disputed) line.

As a whole, however, you've definitely got a good style going here.

I have a pet niggle that keeps drawing my attention away from the map itself! Pretty please can you edge your copyright thing out a bit so its not touching the scale border at the right hand end?

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    The mountains look great and I like the colors very much. It's a really harmonious composition, especially with the new parchment layer. I'm just not sure about the rivers. To me the lines look a bit too heavy/broad compared to the linework of the rest of the map.
    Thanks. I don't like the rivers myself. I plan on redoing them when I get bored with labelling. I only put them on as a guide in the early stages with the intention of redoing them but I just never got round to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Great idea with the new parchment - it binds the whole map together much better than before. A unifying effect

I'm still not keen on the double line effect of the political boundaries. To me the gap is a bit strange - like a strip of land that is no-man's land. I think most political borders tend to be a single (sometimes disputed) line.

As a whole, however, you've definitely got a good style going here.

I have a pet niggle that keeps drawing my attention away from the map itself! Pretty please can you edge your copyright thing out a bit so its not touching the scale border at the right hand end?
    Thanks Mouse I do feel as though it's starting to pull together. I also have a better idea of what's going where and how bold things need to be. The double line is an irritation and something I haven't tried to put right yet. I should maybe spend some time tidying things up this evening as there's still a lot to do on this.

The signature is only where it is because I didn't know where else to put it until everything's finished. You should see the version of the map with the longitude/latitude values - it can't be more in the way if it tried!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Great map, Straf ! I too am not sure about the rivers... and if you are doing those again, I think, when possible, it would be a good idea to fellow the border (it makes sense that a border fellows a river, isn’t it ?)

I'd say the borders tend to follow the rivers as the rivers tend to have been there a bit longer Rivers do move over time and if the government isn't paying attention their country could get smaller

Last update before bed. I'm going to compare this with yesterday to see how much progress I made in a day. I'm also thinking that I might change the title of the thread.

### Latest WIP ###
    Feuding States.jpg

The update looks great Straf!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast