Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Azanulbizar

Guild Artisan

Thanks all for the comments!
    You don't imagine how encouraging it is when one has to work only with a clumsy mouse while being used to the facilities and speed of pencils. It really gives me courage to finish it in my limited available time
    I plan to dedicate 4 or 5 hours to it this weekend and hope to post another WIP Sunday evening.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Even if I could imagine, I wouldn't want to.

I honestly have no idea how you managed to create something so well detailed with a mouse, or at any rate have the patience with it for something like this. Well done and I look forwards to your update Deadshade!

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    You're using a mouse???? OK, my left leg and my right leg, then.
    Well yes, I have only a mouse - always thought that I would not have enough use for a tablet and from what I heard it is a big beast so ... it'd be one more device where my wife would make me remove dust every 2 days
    Anyway I found the 4 hours so here is a next WIP.
    Mountains finished 90% (would like to add some boulders and big rocks but ....)
    Waterfall finished 60 %.
    Gate and stairs more or less OK too.
    Lake is a placeholder.

Azanubilzar-WIP.png

### LATEST WIP ###

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Outstanding! You're use of color and shading as well as your clean lines just look absolutely stunning! I love it!

(btw, I'm right there with ya. I use a mouse for everything I do too, even though I have a tablet. I just can't get used to the hovering pencil thing. )

Guild Artisan

I would need a suggestion.
    I always use the standard fonts in Windows for my work because the only requirement for a font is to be readable and the Window fonts definitely are that.
    However as this map is deep dwarven lore and a holy dwarven place, I would like "dwarven style" fonts.
    Of course I thought about dwarf runes but nobody could read it because I am pretty sure that not many dwarves will get to see it
    But as I have noticed that many people here download all kinds of non standard fonts, somebody could have a suggestion for me about what/where I could find some dwarven style fonts.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I just use google and go to the different font places that come up. When I look for fonts I make sure to only get the kind that I can use without giving credit to the creator (because with the amount of maps I make that would be a pain to keep remembering what credit goes where) and that I can use them both professionally and in personal work. Other than that, google has been my friend.

If you look around on the site, there is section devoted to various fonts. :: It's a sticky in the Mapping Elements section ::

dafont.com is a good resource for free fonts. They have a Runes category....

http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=705
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Artisan

When Durin arrived to Kheled-zâram, he looked in its waters and saw a crown made out of stars around his head despite the fact that it was in full day light.
    He saw that as a sign and founded Khazad dűm, the greatest dwarven achievement since the First Age.
    This was because Kheled-zâram keeps in its depths the light of the stars forever.

So I did a small update. The lake is finished, the waterfall is finished. I hope to find a few hours this week end and finish the map.

Azanubilzar-WIP.png

Thanks for the advice for the fonts and especially thanks to Chick who suggested me a font that looked exactly like what I had in mind.

### LATEST WIP ###

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast