Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge: City of Seyazade

Not convinced by my own work on the rocks and cliffs ... So, a test without the lines and just shades and shadows... I think it might be better, but not as clear to get summits and the cliff limits.. Any thoughts or advice on this part?
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Seyazade.jpg
    Also, I added a texture on the boats.

My suggestion would be to save 2 versions at exactly the same view and size - one with lines and one without lines.
    Then you can layer them in PS and remove lines where you don't want or need them [via a layer mask], but still have then where you do want them.
    It also allows you to play with the opacity of the layer with lines so that you can have it be softer or more faint, not so stark.

edit - also, save a version with lines but no shadows.
    If both the lined and no lined versions have shadows on then when you layer them the shadows will become too dark.

In my opinion it lacks a reference (a tree or a house) at the top of the cliffs to give an impression of depth, they seem too flat on this view. Perhaps strengthen the shadows? Good work and good luck.

Thanks for your views guys.

@J. Edward : I'm doing this in PSP7 and not Photoshop... It seems to me that you're doing a really detailed job with a lot of layers (I'm not really surprised, though ).
    PSP is not handling well files that are too big, so I have all the lines on a layer, all the additionnal shadows on another one. So, I can't really selected on line among the others. That said, I did a test with both lines and shadows, following your suggestion, and I like it a lot better. So thanks!
    Here's a view of both (and still working on it).
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Seyazade.jpg
    @Warlin : yeah, I completely see what you mean. But 1) it's purely a top-down view (with a parallel projection, I was forced to do it to get an harmonious view of the town), and I'm already "cheating" a bit by adding some shadows ; 2) I planned to add trees and vegetation, but the tree models I had for sketchup are too hard to handle for the software. So I'll put some with PSP... and I'm not sure it helped much. The thing is with a stricly top-down view, you can't really see vertical elements otherwise than "flat" indeed. Anyhow, I'll add a side or iso view to this one.

Just an update. I'm still working out those rocks... Hope I'll be done with it soon.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Seyazade.jpg

Guild Member Facebook Connected Romeinoneday's Avatar

This is so cool! Honestly, keep doing what you're doing. It looks amazing!

Thanks, that's very comforting !
    I finished the rocks and did a test about grass/trees. It's not finished, but you'll get the idea. What do you think? I'm a bit afraid it hides the topography or lower the contrast.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Seyazade.jpg
    I think that the side view is really gone to be from the side, with a parallel projection, but with a slight upper angle.
    By the way, do you have any suggestion about the names? North mediterranean (italy, spain, greece, etc), south mediterranean (arabic, egyptian..), fantasy?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Romeinoneday's Avatar

I was thinking Southern Mediterranean (like Morocco). So Arabic names would suit it fine. But you can do what you want with it.
    As for the colors, I can see the topography very well. So clarity, to me, isn't an issue.

I was wondering how you would handle the cliffs - I know I would have had a lot of difficulty doing them. I think you did a great job on them!
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thanks! You're both very comforting ! And pseudo-arabic names it will be then.
    I've a lot of windows and details to do... I think I'm gonna do what is required for the side view and nothing more. It's kinda a lot already!
    Just to give you a glimpse of the side view.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Seyazade.jpg

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast