Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

Guild Journeyer

You need to add the "### LATEST WIP ###" to your image caption so that the thumbnail gets scrapped and added to the contest thumbnail page.

Thanks LordEntrails. I'll leave that until the end (it saves typing!)

Anyway, lots of labelling now, I think I've just about finished the Alpiran Empire, the other continents and sea features to do next.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Nicely done! I like how this is shaping up!

You've really filled out the blank areas well. It's looking really good.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Chickpea and Tonni. I've gone for a change of colours. I liked the yellow for the Alpiran empire but it gave the impression that it was entirely arid (which it only is in the north), so I've gone for a colour that doesn't suggest climate but just political borders. Same with the green for the Unified Realm. Sigh...now I've got to readjust the outer glows of all the labels....again! lol! Also I'm not sure that the colour scheme is now too cold.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I think I like this version better. I'll have to look at it for a while. After some consideration though, I think you should bring back the raven somehow...

Thanks Diamond. I think I've made the right decision on the colours. I'm missing the Raven too. Just about finished naming the basic places (still got the coastal towns to do) but now I need to go back to the Unified Realm and put more in (I kind of went mad with the labelling - but it's the only way to really bring out the scale of the map). Then I can get to the fun stuff with points of interest which give character to the various provinces and relate more directly with the book.

It's looking fantastic, Ravells! About including the raven, I was remembering the Game of Thrones newspaper ads, where they showed the shadow of a dragon on the page (like this example). Could something like that be worth trying? You'd get the shape of the raven without the stark black against your softer colours. No idea how it would look though. It might only obscure the lovely work you've already created. But it's just a thought.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

After due consideration, yup, I'm sold on those colors. I like ChickPea's suggestion for the raven, or you could work in a raven motif in the corners somehow.

Just...can't...get...the raven to work. I'm going to drop it. Tried your suggestion, Chickpea (thanks) but it just looked distracting and out of place to me. I think it's just not that kind of a map. Thanks for the reassurance on the colours, Diamond. Anyway I've been doing borders and pretty stuff - getting bored of labels.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast