Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Copyright on maps?

I never finished it, and it never went in the Finished Maps forum. And now it never will be either finished or shown in the FM forum

And all the WIP versions contained in the Challenge thread will quietly subside into the dark depths of history and be forgotten

It really depends on the people involved.

The estate of C.S.Lewis is *extremely* protective of all of their rights, as is the estate of J.R.R.Tolkien.

In contrast, some authors encourage the publication of maps created by fans. Some even allow fans to publish modified versions of maps created by the authors. David Weber is one such. (See http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8865) Some publishers have found that providing free electronic copies of some of their books encourages the sale of the corresponding physical editions. Baen is an example of this. (See http://www.baen.com/catalog/category...ibrary/id/2012)
    Selden

Well, I certainly won't be showing any interest in doing maps based on other people's maps or books from here on in. Its just too risky to be worth the trouble. Its not as if I'm lacking in things to map from my own relatively fertile imagination. I also have 5 books of my own (unpublished as yet) for which I will probably be doing most of the maps. So I've got plenty of other stuff to do

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Well, I certainly won't be showing any interest in doing maps based on other people's maps or books from here on in. Its just too risky to be worth the trouble. Its not as if I'm lacking in things to map from my own relatively fertile imagination. I also have 5 books of my own (unpublished as yet) for which I will probably be doing most of the maps. So I've got plenty of other stuff to do
    5 books !!!!! I really would like to read that saga !!!

Well if I ever get there I'll let you know, Jo

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    So you can create it for the competition but you can't show it to anyone?
    They are lawyers, logic is their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    With fictional worlds it's relatively straightforward. The world itself is a creative work and therefore subject to copyright. With the real world, it gets seriously murky as you aren't generally supposed to be able to restrict a fact with copyright, only an expression of a fact. This doesn't stop people from throwing lawsuits around over facts, and it can get fuzzy around the boundary between fact and representation of that fact, particularly with spatial data. In some cases copyright, or something similar to copyright gets extended to databases: collections of facts where the individual facts would be exempt but the collection of them (or derived collections) get restricted.
    Say I have a topographical map ( like the old school elevation maps ) of areas of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting I would like to post which greatly enhances those areas ( instead of 1-2 main city's or towns it has many marked) but the main part is right out of the 3.5 setting is it copyright infringement if I post them here, even though they say right in the setting book they did so so the DM could develop the world more in there own game sessions? For example if a town or city or even the name of a mountain range on my map is the same as in the book ( because it was based on it) do I still need permission from wizards of the coast to post my map's, even though the city's or town's they placed and named is NOT mapped out only those I named and placed myself, but there city's/town's still are on it for reference?

Blog Entries

bain

yes/no/maybe????

the state of things right NOW is that you ,your lawyer, do not and can not know it you will be sued
    and until a judge says you infringed there is NO WAY TO KNOW if it is "fair use" and or a "derivative work"
    or falls under any of the exceptions to the laws .
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Bain View Post
    Say I have a topographical map ( like the old school elevation maps ) of areas of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting I would like to post which greatly enhances those areas ( instead of 1-2 main city's or towns it has many marked) but the main part is right out of the 3.5 setting is it copyright infringement if I post them here, even though they say right in the setting book they did so so the DM could develop the world more in there own game sessions? For example if a town or city or even the name of a mountain range on my map is the same as in the book ( because it was based on it) do I still need permission from wizards of the coast to post my map's, even though the city's or town's they placed and named is NOT mapped out only those I named and placed myself, but there city's/town's still are on it for reference?
    Be aware, that you should be able to post any map like this on the DMsGuild.com under the license granted there (since the Forgotten Realms and all place names, etc are included in that license). Posting there does restrict your rights, but it does allow you to distribute such works for free or payment.

"Rules

You can use the 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons system.

You cannot publish content in previous rules systems (OD&D, Basic, AD&D, 2nd Ed, 3rd Ed, 3.5, 4th Ed)." quoted strait from there rules page

I went and joined the DMsGuild and after looking over there rules found this at the top (thank you LordEntrails for posting the link), so I assume after reading the list (which isn't long really) that any previous D&D products other than 5th edition can not be posted there....so even if I dont make money off it, I still cant post it? I have called Wizards of the Coast and they sent me an email to a link (a book) on previous versions and there trademarks licenses ect. It will be 4-6 weeks before I get an email back saying yes or no from the FR Team

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast