Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Challenge: The Glyphs of Kaylaric

Thanks LC

I've never really seen river water as being blue.

The sea and lakes are often blue, but a lot of rivers are various shades of brown with silt, or green with algae, or they might look green because of the abundance of water plants just beneath the surface. I've even seen a red river, which was polluted with metal oxides from an old tin mine. I've also seen a river that's a very very pale viridian - the dust of slate suspended in the water near an old Welsh slate quarry.

In this case I think the river is green because it is very clear, and there are lots of green plants growing in the water

Oh, I see. That makes sense, thanks for explaining. This adds quite a lot of realism to your map, then.

The map is a blend of realism and a more classical fantasy style. Some of the components, like the roads, the river banks and the parchment background are more usually associated with classical fantasy mapping, whereas the houses and the trees (when they appear) are more photorealistic, and usually associated with realistic city or dungeon mapping.

The question I am asking myself here is... why not both together in the same map?

We'll see if it works

I miss the pylon but the new version is looking good!

Blog Entries

This map looks really nice Mouse!
    I want to see final result!

Quote Originally Posted by QED42 View Post
    I miss the pylon but the new version is looking good!
    Thank you, QED

I was a bit concerned that people who saw the pylon map might not forgive me for 'jumping ship' mid-stream and finishing with a completely different map!

Quote Originally Posted by FranCobasGC View Post
    This map looks really nice Mouse!
    I want to see final result!
    Thank you, Fran

You will, you will. I'm just one of those people who usually end up doing the last bit an hour before the deadline

I'm also a mapper who tends to change things a lot before I'm happy with them. I changed the glyphs for more geometric patterns, and I'm probably going to regret it, but here it is at the moment...

### Latest WIP ###
    The Glyphs of Kaylaric 06JPG.JPG

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

It's taking an excellent turn. I really liked the rolled parchment and the pebbles but I understand the need of space for the story

Thank you, Tenia

The scrolls and stones are still 'in'. I just didn't have time to put the two halves of the image together today. What you see there is the CC3 bit of the map - a JPEG of the far background exported from GIMP and imported into CC3, with all the CC3 roads and buildings in it. There's another part of the GIMP map that consists of the scrolls, the stones, and the relief shading that actually goes on top of all of that.

Its a bit like a GIMP/CC3/GIMP sandwich, with the CC3 bit in the middle. I just didn't get around to adding the top layer of GIMP - so its an open sandwich

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The scrolls and stones are still 'in'.
    Hurrah !
    Its a bit like a GIMP/CC3/GIMP sandwich, with the CC3 bit in the middle. I just didn't get around to adding the top layer of GIMP - so its an open sandwich
    Funny, I am myself doing currently Artrage/Gimp/Artrage sandwiches

There you go, Tenia - the full sandwich as it stands

I find that working this way can be a bit confusing sometimes. I end up with about 50 files with all different numbers and letters after the main title. There's the png files I export from GIMP to use as backgrounds in CC3, then there's the jpg files I've exported from CC3 to incorporate back into a different GIMP file at half the scale, and then there's the jpg export from that second GIMP file that I need to be able to identify from all the rest of them when I finally upload it here. The whole process takes about an hour! LOL!

I'll be lucky if I don't mess up at some point - especially as the deadline approaches

### Latest WIP ###

The Glyphs of Kaylaric V7.jpg

I work with GIMP and CC3 because I can get the correct roof shading from CC3, while I can manipulate large blocks of text better in GIMP. But while its a lot easier doing the roads in CC3, GIMP is better for all the soft shading - the relief shading and the shading on the scroll. Mind you, the flowering bushes would be a bit difficult to reproduce so quickly in GIMP, because they are CC3 varicolour symbols I made for myself, and which I can change the flower colour on at the click of a button, meaning I only need 2 symbols to create flowering bushes of all the different colours of the rainbow. A similar versatility in GIMP would require at least 100 different brushes.

I'm interested to know why you use ArtRage and GIMP? I have ArtRage as well, but I find the uneven lighting across the canvas a little hard to work with on a map. How do you do it? Do you have the lighting switched on?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast