Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: July 2018 Challenge: Part of the Village of Infeld

Quote Originally Posted by PeriphReal View Post
    All of your linework is hand drawn? Much respect. I tried to hand draw my entire project this challenge, but I quickly gave up after about 8 hours

I especially like the variety of shapes of houses.

Looking good so far, can't wait to see what else you do in the next few days
    Hi PeriphReal,

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. Yes, it's mostly hand-drawn. I do go in towards the end and add in things digitally if I feel that I can get away with it, but I think it is very much a case of practice makes perfect. If you look at some of my stuff from as recently as 6-8 months ago, you can see a big difference. It was roughly at that point that I decided that I wanted to draw most of it by hand...

Anyway, I got distracted by lights (seeing as I wanted it to be a dark gloomy scene, I thought there had probably better be a few....)

### Latest WIP ###
    Infeld.gif

Right, possibly the last WIP before I get stuck into doing labels/text.

Really not sure about the wood borders around the two text boxes, as they really don't tie in with the frame, however they tie in quite nicely with the wood feel to all of the roofs...

Much darker now, I've done a load more work on the lights, and got more shadows to make everything look a lot darker.

### Latest WIP ###
    Infeld.gif

I like. The smoke and street lamp lighting are nice touches.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    I like. The smoke and street lamp lighting are nice touches.
    Thanks GW, it wasn't supposed to be a night time map right from the start, but just became one once I started colouring. Oh well...

Anyway, a little taste of the text side of things (and I've reduced the opacity of the smoke as I thought it was a bit overpowering.

### Latest WIP ###Infeld.gif
    Last edited by Tonquani; 07-25-2018 at 07:01 PM.

Oh I just love those lighting effects! This one is turning out really nice, awesome building arrangements, Tonq!

Great injection of atmosphere with the night time and smoke effects. Really feels like floating above the buildings now. Has the shadow layer over your chimney tops moved a small bit?

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    Great injection of atmosphere with the night time and smoke effects. Really feels like floating above the buildings now. Has the shadow layer over your chimney tops moved a small bit?
    Thank's Weery, comments much appreciated.

Yes, the chimneys had moved a bit. I hadn't put shadows on them, it being twilight/night but have moved the colour back t the right place. Well spotted

### Latest WIP ###
    Infeld.gif

Right, I thnk I'm on the final stretch with this one now. Just mabelling to go.

Not too sure about the font or font colour. The darker colour definitely works better on the text panels, but is too dark for the map, and the white o nthe map is too bright for the text panels, so I'm not really too sure what to do with it...

What do you think? Any suggestions are extremely welcome!

### Latest WIP ###
    Infeld.gif
    Last edited by Tonquani; 07-26-2018 at 06:06 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's looking marvelous!

Oh, I love better the new border color ! And the whole map is amazing
    It's delicate for the labels, especially because they're going over the road and light, so the contrast is not easy to balance... I would try to reuse the lightest grey of the blades, with maybe a subtle dark outer glow ?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast