Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: On hadron colliders, dark matter and black holes

@torstan: Thanks for the great explanation...that makes perfect sense.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm glad that it made sense. It's a pretty fast moving field so that (standard) view might well be blown out of the water in a year or two.

Groan... That was an entirely unintentional pun

Well lets just hope it remains so and doesn't become a static field, because in the right frame of reference it would just be an ignorable constant...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Funnily enough "ignorable constant" fields are a great problem in the attempts to unify gravity and QFT since gravitiy "sees" absolute masses/energies.

I missed this April fool when it went round, but it's just done the rounds of our office. Pretty funny:
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/man-...ture-49305387/

In other news - the LHC continues nicely and apparently now has enough data to 'discover' the top quark, a process that took the previous accelerator many years to achieve. So all looks on track so far. Latest estimates seem to be one more year at the current energy before an extended shut down before restarting at full energy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep.. thats it - cut through the bureaucracy and go straight to the top quark *lol* ... fun aprils fool .. and by the way, Holger Bech is always interesting to watch, in addition to talking a bit funny - he is very enthusiatic
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It's been a while since this thread was active, but there are some interesting murmerings that the LHC might have the first indications of a Higgs boson:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/li.../2011/apr/24/1

That's a good article, because it clearly states just how early this is in the process. However, even a murmur is exciting. Interesting times indeed.

Blog Entries

Did that murmur ever increase in volume to a balls out announcement of the Higgs ? According to this recently, its been officially announced that with 95% probability, there is NO Higgs !

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ysics-history/

Drastic stuff. So whats been going on in the last 4 months ? I thought that there was a blip of probability in one energy band and that it just needed more data to increase the certainly. Now it seems to have gone completely the other way. Whats the inside track on this ? And with no Higgs what does that mean in general and for your theories ?

The general media reporting about the state of affairs at LHC is really confused.

Page 41 of 48 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142434445 ... LastLast