Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected

EDIT: I solved the problem. I had to set the new layer to transparent when creating it before adding the noise. I'm thinking it had something to do with a solid fill on a new layer doesn't create an alpha channel causing the overlay blend mode to not funnctionn properly? I don't know though...

sorry for necroing the thread!

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.
    At this point when I set the layer to overlay nothing changes. I see no effect of the cloud layer at all.

nolandnoise.JPG

Create a new layer called “Land Clip”, filled with white above that, and set its blend mode to Lighten. You will have a white image. Now, with this layer selected, Open the levels dialog (Colors->Levels) and grab the white output slider, and drag it down. As this happens, the land will be revealed. Stop at a place you like, and click OK.
    I then add the white layer and set it to lighten. Drag down the slider and it just returns the original coast without any noise distortion.

noisgolj.JPG

I can't for the life of me figure out why this isn't working. I'm following the tutorial by the letter and have gone over this part about 6 times now. It's becoming quite annoying. Could someone explain to me why this isn't working as intended?

The image is 4096 * 4096. It's the only deviation from the tutorial but I can't see how that would effect this process.

HALP!
    Last edited by Chin Swift; 08-25-2014 at 05:01 PM.

CURSES! I thought my experience with gimp could get me through this tutorial but apparently I overestimated myself. :/ I've worked on my map for a couple days now but I ran into a problem adding the rivers after having done the deserts and forests. I ended up with dirt sections floating over the river and so on and the more I try to fix it the more i screw up. Back to the drawing board... no pressure... party is ready to game this Saturday *sweat sweat sweat*BnB world map flawed.jpg

Guild Applicant

After years of using HoMM3 map editor for my rpg purposes I've finally decided to up my game. This tutorial incredible but I've encounter a problem - I've tried repeating every step by instructions and with some adjustments, but result is similar. It comes down to creating sea. After using Gradient Map I've always got something like this:
    sea_problem.jpg

I don't know why does land on Sea layer become transparent (it was filled with white before) and why there are red gradient by it. I've nothing selected. The map is large (6000x6000), but I've adjusted blur accordingly and effects (including histogram) where proper up to this point. I will try to solve it myself, but maybe some of you knows the possible answer.

Anyway, thanks for this tutorial once more. 8 years later it is the best thing I've found on the Internet in 2015.

EDIT: Nevermind - I've solved it.
    Last edited by Ursus_minor; 02-24-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: solved problem myself

Nice!!The tutorial is so useful!

Guild Novice

Thanks for the tutorial RobA!

Loved this tutorial, however, I am having no luck trying to add rivers. I have tried turning off everything but the Grass Layer Mask and drawing them there, but they look like crap.

Hi guys,

New(ish) member here. Quick question...what are the usual size and dimensions you guys work with for maps?

I can't seem to get the those bumps.

Hey RobA! I just wanted to drop quick comment to thank you for this fantastic tutorial.

To be honest, I've probably run through the first half of this tutorial at least six times now. I wanted to not only duplicate what you were walking us through creating, but also understand a bit of the "why" in the various steps. Your tutorial does an excellent job of giving me, the noob, those "why" statements.

On my most recent run through the tutorial, I'm finally starting to feel a comfort level with GIMP. Thank you for helping me get there!

This is what I have so far. I'm just about to start on the "Labels" and "Title" sections. Constructive criticism is appreciated to anyone who happens by this post.
    RobA_RegMapTut_v6.png

Edited to add a more complete screen shot of the map.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mixerbach; 06-08-2016 at 11:51 AM.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445 LastLast