Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Home-brew Campaign Setting Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Stopping here for the day. I adjusted the saturation and I'm trying out some mountain symbols instead of the satellite style topography. And I went ahead and tried out some sample text labels.

Need some feedback in general. Do these mountains look ok so far? Is the text legible?

EMPIRE_Region_02.jpg

Blog Entries

Ok, what about this? What if I colorized this map this way and left the mountains just as they are, very subtle and subdued, with the rivers giving more of the mountain range definition........??????

I've been up for a while so I could use some fresh eyes on this...

I'm stopping for real this time.

EMPIRE_Region_04.jpg

The blue and greens are fine on this last one, and the previous brown in the previous also. Why not keeping the mountains you have in the post 45? For me, it's a very good, and you can just color it your way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The blue and greens are fine on this last one, and the previous brown in the previous also. Why not keeping the mountains you have in the post 45? For me, it's a very good, and you can just color it your way.
    What about this one? Kinda a blend between post #45-47...

EMPIRE_Region_05.jpg
    Last edited by wthrasherb; 04-14-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo corretion

Blog Entries

Help Need Mountain Advice

Here's an update with color and texture adjustments.

I'm seriously struggling with how to do mountains on this map. I'm practicing Torstan's style of drawing mountains but mine haven't come out as nice as his yet I tried out a few Campaign Cartographer symbol sets and didn't like how those fit either. I DO want to have some kind of "symbolic" mountains drawn in, but I just can't find a look that fits. I don't necessarily need realistic looking mountains, but I want them to be recognizable as mountains... I can't seem to figure out the perspective I need to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, thoughts and feedback on the color and such is always helpful.

EMPIRE_Region_06_b.jpg

The combination 45-47 is quite good in my eyes. It could be really nice with added/reinforced shadings and colors/textures. But of course, it depends completely of what style/use you want in the end .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The combination 45-47 is quite good in my eyes. It could be really nice with added/reinforced shadings and colors/textures. But of course, it depends completely of what style/use you want in the end .
    Thanks for the feedback Ilanthar. I think you are right about the mountains being fine as they are. I was just trying to do something different, but I guess my style is just leaning more towards what I call "satellite" style mountains. Also, I'm getting impatient. I need to be spending more time on developing the campaign instead of making a pretty map that my players will probably look at for 2 seconds and say 'wow, that's cool.... let's go kill stuff'. LOL. I suffer from that 'perfectionism' disease... that's why I asked in a previous post how do you know when you are 'done'. I always seem to find SOMETHING to tweak, change, improve, or add to... UGH.

So I think this post is the "base" map I'm going with unless someone comes along and makes a irresistible suggestion. I say this, but typically, as soon as I post an update I tend to catch something I want to fix or change...

Now I'm going to start adding details and see what happens! Stay tuned!!!

EMPIRE_Region_06_d.jpg

Blog Entries

Quick update on the world map.

No real changes since the last version I posted except I filled in actual continent names and adjusted some text stuff.

This campaign setting is being made up as I go, so the continent names are potentially subject to change in the future. I'm developing the setting from the perspective of the people that live in the small area of land that connects North Atlantea and South Atlantea, so the "known world" may not extend to the other continents in the current time period. I labeled the map and laid out the continents more for my sake than anything. Again, I'm making this stuff up piece by piece. I'm trying to flesh out some details today and over the weekend.

So TECHNICALLY, I'm "finished" with this WORLD map, but I'm using this thread to develop maps for the campaign overall, so I'm just going to keep posting maps related to this setting in this one thread... unless mods decide otherwise I guess.

Welcome to the world of Mythrengard everybody!

World_of_Mythrengard.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wthrasherb View Post
    Quick update on the world map.

No real changes since the last version I posted except I filled in actual continent names and adjusted some text stuff.

This campaign setting is being made up as I go, so the continent names are potentially subject to change in the future. I'm developing the setting from the perspective of the people that live in the small area of land that connects North Atlantea and South Atlantea, so the "known world" may not extend to the other continents in the current time period. I labeled the map and laid out the continents more for my sake than anything. Again, I'm making this stuff up piece by piece. I'm trying to flesh out some details today and over the weekend.

So TECHNICALLY, I'm "finished" with this WORLD map, but I'm using this thread to develop maps for the campaign overall, so I'm just going to keep posting maps related to this setting in this one thread... unless mods decide otherwise I guess.

Welcome to the world of Mythrengard everybody!
    loving the base map, but not so much the fonts on the continents, perhaps they need to be smaller?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I like the overall feel of it. The mountains are very dominant and the "dark/eery" style of them marks the style of the map.

The rivers don't fit that style, an almost-black-shade-of-blue would be better imho, using lines equal in size to the lines in the mountains. Just my two cents..
    Pixie, thanks for the feedback. I try to make the rivers close to the ocean color. While I appreciate your opinion, I think I am satisfied at the moment, with most of the geographic features. I will take your comments into consideration though. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
    A nice world, and overall very well done map. I am curious as to what font you are using?
    Kyros, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to comment. The font in the World Map is called Aquiline Two and can be found here.

Quote Originally Posted by GuruKast View Post
    loving the base map, but not so much the fonts on the continents, perhaps they need to be smaller?
    GuruKast, thanks a lot! I'm glad you like the map! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Your comments have been noted and I am going to look into making the continent labels a little smaller. I'm actually in the process of a rework of some ideas invovling this map and the world/setting in general, so I may be making a few changes here and there anyway. Thanks for the input!

Sorry I've been kinda quiet. Going through some alterations to the setting and campaign concept and haven't been working on the maps/visual aspects as much lately. I should have something new to show soon, so STAY TUNED...

Keep the feedback coming folks! It only makes me better!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast