Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed WIP

Yes, the mountains are particularly beautiful. This is what I aspire to be able to do myself - given a number of years to achieve it

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The shading of the mountains is matching perfectly the background paper texture, imo. Very impressive.
    Thanks Ilanthar, the shading is not quite done yet, still have to darken the peaks, and add some more highlight detail, I've been struggling for time lately. I'd also like to add colour to this map, but after some testing last night it seems I'm just not there yet, I have no idea how to do a colour map, so it may end up being another beige tone map from me.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Yes, the mountains are particularly beautiful. This is what I aspire to be able to do myself - given a number of years to achieve it
    Thanks so much Mouse, I still find it jarring when people I look up to say things like this. I'm sure you'll have little trouble achieving something much more pleasing then this, and I can't wait to see you try.

And thanks for the rep, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Thanks so much Mouse, I still find it jarring when people I look up to say things like this. I'm sure you'll have little trouble achieving something much more pleasing then this, and I can't wait to see you try.

And thanks for the rep, I really appreciate it.
    Aw gosh! I'm all embarrassed now! LOL!

Please will you stop doing yourself down? Your mountains are impressive. Ilanthar says so - therefore... 'it is so'!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-04-2017 at 02:31 PM.

I thought i already commented on this wip, but it seems i only did it in my mind. In risk of echoing some of the comments above i'll throw my 2 cents in the ring nonetheless:
    For me your mountainranges show a perfect balance of smooth linework and subtle yet very effective and elegant shading. In my view they are really thoughtfully placed and make the landscape very interesting and a pleasure to look at. I love the way the cliffs in the east give a nice impression of depth in this basin like area. As with your other works, the color pallette, the land shape and the beautiful frame design are very impressive already. Keep up the awesome work, i'm really looking forward to see it develop!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Very nice kacey, i love what you are doing with mountains.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    I thought i already commented on this wip, but it seems i only did it in my mind. In risk of echoing some of the comments above i'll throw my 2 cents in the ring nonetheless:
    For me your mountainranges show a perfect balance of smooth linework and subtle yet very effective and elegant shading. In my view they are really thoughtfully placed and make the landscape very interesting and a pleasure to look at. I love the way the cliffs in the east give a nice impression of depth in this basin like area. As with your other works, the color pallette, the land shape and the beautiful frame design are very impressive already. Keep up the awesome work, i'm really looking forward to see it develop!
    Thanks for the kind comments Abu, I really appreciate it coming from you.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Very nice kacey, i love what you are doing with mountains.
    Thanks again.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Chris Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Hi Sendrith, achieving the folded paper look is very easy, all you have to do is add a paper texture as you're back round. For this one I used three of coyotemax's textures together, and changed the colours a bit. You can find them here http://coyotemax.deviantart.com/gall...9830/Resources and each one you download has several in the file. Another paper texture that I like to use allot that has really nice folds is here http://bashcorpo.deviantart.com/art/...v-15-470628155

And for the mountains I've been trying to use some of the techniques set out by Jonathan Roberts, he has several tutorials that are really great on his web site http://www.fantasticmaps.com/ I would recommend going through his site with a fine tooth comb, so many gems to find there.

To get the texture to show through the water, you can use the multiply blend mode, but lately I've had allot of luck using linear burn, a blend mode I only just recently discovered was useful in PhotoShop.
    Thank you for the tips on how you achieved the background and water, kacey. I'm going to experiment with your thoughts. Have you considered making a tutorial for how you created your water? I know a lot of beginners would benefit from it (myself included) I just picked up GIMP and am having a severe learning curve with wrapping my arms around it. Your map is a look I would LOVE to achieve! Excellent progress so far on everything you've laid out.

Guild Expert

Thanks Chris, I've never felt I was at a level where I could make a tutorial as I'm still following other peoples tutorials myself. The water was kind of an accident at first, and theres no shading or anything involved, coyote max's beautiful texture is doing all the work there. It's actually just a bucket fill of a very light blue colour set to linear burn for the blend mode in PhotoShop with the opacity turned down. You can see what colour I used for the water in the bottom left corner, actually those little dots are the only colours I've used so far. For the shaded part of the mountains I just picked a light colour from the background, and set the blend mode to multiply, and for the highlights I used that same colour set to screen, it's really very simple, just time consuming, and I always use a soft round 7 pixel brush set to pressure for opacity for my shading... And the shading's not done yet btw I still have to do a couple more passes I just want to get my hills in first.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast