Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Dragon's Backbone

Guild Expert

Really nice Caenwyr, I love those mountains.

Thanks for posting a higher resolution. I think it was worth it! I can't see imperfections on a first (longer) look. But then i am not a digital mapper, so i might miss some things ^^

@ Caenwyr - I think you might confuse me with someone else I wouldn't call myself a skilled cartographer. But if you did not confuse me with another mapper...well thanks for the compliment.

I will Rep. you for this map as soon as it appears in the finished maps section (if it has not already...i started in this thread today ).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I've just been skimming through the replies here (as the Thread's getting quite long now) so apologies if I've overlooked anything. I have spent a lot longer gazing in awe at the maps on your site Caenwyr!
    Great stuff.
    Just wondering if you're doing the line art by hand in natural media or digitally? It's very consistent but I'm really attracted to the style- is that your personal way you draw mountains?
    I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn to draw map objects like you- while avoiding stealing your style!
    image.jpeg

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Runninghead View Post
    I've just been skimming through the replies here (as the Thread's getting quite long now) so apologies if I've overlooked anything. I have spent a lot longer gazing in awe at the maps on your site Caenwyr!
    Great stuff.
    Just wondering if you're doing the line art by hand in natural media or digitally? It's very consistent but I'm really attracted to the style- is that your personal way you draw mountains?
    I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn to draw map objects like you- while avoiding stealing your style!
    image.jpeg
    Hey Runninghead,

Actually, I really like your style of mountains! They look very eroded, which lends your map a very authentic feel. I wouldn't change it if I were you, but because you asked, I'll be happy to share my method.

I do all of my mapping work in Photoshop, simply because I tend to work in all sorts of places: in the train, on a desk, in the sofa, ... I'm quite short on time so I try to use every minute I have. To get work done in a setting as mobile as possible, I purchased a second hand Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - the touch option and the excellent pen are just magnificent.

When it comes to drawing my mountains, I usually work in 4 steps.
    1. First of all I draw the outline of each of the mountains. Thin lines at the ends, and fat near the peak
    2. Then I connect them with ridge lines
    3. Then I add a first set of smaller ridges going all the way to the ground (thinning them as I go)
    4. And I finish it all off with a whole flurry of thinner lines suggesting shape and volume.

mountain_1.jpgmountain_2.jpgmountain_3.jpgmountain_4.jpg

Repeat these steps a gazillion times and you end up with a mountain range

What you might do to start suggesting shading right away is draw slightly thinner lines on one side of each mountain, lending them the impression they are lighted by an as-yet invisible light source.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    Hey Runninghead,

Actually, I really like your style of mountains! They look very eroded, which lends your map a very authentic feel. I wouldn't change it if I were you, but because you asked, I'll be happy to share my method.

I do all of my mapping work in Photoshop, simply because I tend to work in all sorts of places: in the train, on a desk, in the sofa, ... I'm quite short on time so I try to use every minute I have. To get work done in a setting as mobile as possible, I purchased a second hand Microsoft Surface Pro 3 - the touch option and the excellent pen are just magnificent.

When it comes to drawing my mountains, I usually work in 4 steps.
    1. First of all I draw the outline of each of the mountains. Thin lines at the ends, and fat near the peak
    2. Then I connect them with ridge lines
    3. Then I add a first set of smaller ridges going all the way to the ground (thinning them as I go)
    4. And I finish it all off with a whole flurry of thinner lines suggesting shape and volume.

mountain_1.jpgmountain_2.jpgmountain_3.jpgmountain_4.jpg

Repeat these steps a gazillion times and you end up with a mountain range

What you might do to start suggesting shading right away is draw slightly thinner lines on one side of each mountain, lending them the impression they are lighted by an as-yet invisible light source.
    Thanks Caenwyr!
    I'll give it a go- trying to keep the sketchy look of my efforts so far while moving towards a more consistent method and incorporating your advice.
    Think I'll go for planning on my iPad but drawing up in a sketchbook (it's been fun getting back to my pens).

It's amazing the way your mountains suddenly pop out at stage 4 and I'd never have guessed you join them up after stage 1. Thanks for sharing your process with us!

I'll share my future efforts here for the sake of convenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Caenwyr for sharing your knowledge!
    Although i usually go for Runninghead style mountain, yours are looking splendid.
    If i may ask, how do you colour and shade your maps? Using blending in layers? or just low opacity pressure sensitive?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345